looking for advice on setting up a new electro acoustic guitar

Started by Oldrottenhead, December 27, 2015, 04:04:48 AM

Oldrottenhead

I was delighted to get a new electro acoustic guitar for my crimbo. I got a Jasmin jd37ce. (will post a pic soon). Straight out of the box as an acoustic it sounds fab the action etc feels perfect. However plugged in the middle two strings are noticeably quieter than the other strings.

Could this be caused by the height of the saddle or is it a crap piezzo pick up. Pick up is a fishman isys iii.

Guitar is an entry level takamine. But compared to my gear4music electro acoustic it feels like a million dollar guitar and I love it, despite the issues with the pick up.

However if those issues could be resolved I'd be an even happier bunny. All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Santa also got me a ditto stereo looper. So another learning curve ahead but also a new colour for my palate.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

bruno

I had the same problem with the a Fishman RareEarth, I never got to the bottom on why, certain strings seemed to boom, and some are quiet. It appears to be when the pickup is upside down, or it could be battery related (assuming its active). I'd check the battery first (if its active). There doesn't seem to be a reason for it as it is a single magnet (or I believe that it the case with the RareEarth) - however I use it so infrequently, as I prefer to record with the mikes. I should record with both. My latest 'trick' is to use the mike preamp to boost the signal to mike from a distance (rather than close mike), the behringer preamp is valve, so has some nice natural compresssion.

If not the battery, I'd bring it back to the shop and get them to fix it, particularly if its a fitting issue.

As and when you get to the bottom of this, would be interested in the root cause - so can you post and update?
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Oldrottenhead

cheers bruno. i just used the battery that came with it, but i might give the store a call.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Hook

Yea, that's your best bet. Plug it into an amp there and let them figure it out. I loved my Jasmine, played great and Dishman makes a nice pickup, nothing crap there. Congrats on the Guitar brother÷
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

I would only ever use Duracell with instruments, they don't tend to leak (or at least that's what I've found over the years). Also, you can buy Duracells really, really cheaply on Amazon (Duracell Industrial)  :-) I buy boxes of 10 Duracell 9v PP9's for just over £10!!
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Oldrottenhead

i had a wee go on it a moment ago and the difference is still there but not quite as noticable. i  had it plugged directly into the microbr. yesterday i had it plugged in via my loop pedal. plus yesterday i had all the eq knobs on the pickup turned up full.

i strum and pick with my thumb, i'm sure once i try a pick the difference will be even less noticable. lol.

still loving the guitar.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Hilary

You could take it to a guitar tech and get the action modified (I did that with my acoustic guitar)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Oldrottenhead

cheers Hilary that's my plan, if the shop can't resolve it. i have a few friends who are luthiers. that said the action on the guitar is fabulous, so i reckon it might be more to do with the pick up.

here are a couple of pics of the guitar and one of my looper.

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Mike_S

I can't really help you with the small issue with the volume on those strings but hope you get it sorted.

Just on the Ditto pedal, that looks the business. I have been thinking about getting something like that. Just checked it out on You Tube - looks fab. I think i might put in some subtle hints for one for my birthday next year!!!

Anyhow I am sure all those new goodies will come to good use!

Cheers
Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand