Can you mix and master on GarageBand for iPad?

Started by Hook, November 29, 2015, 02:58:01 PM

chip

Ah.  Hi Hook. I know what you mean. Here is what I do. I send the garageband song to the audio mastering app ( which is very good indeed) Master it then record it on the BR80 using line in straight from audio mastering app, master it on BR80 using no mastering effect. I send the song from garageband to AM using open in and select a uncompressed AIIF file. I don't convert the file once in AM. I just tinker around till it sounds reasonable, then throw it through the BR. I then transfer to the PC, have a look in audacity, most of the time the i don't need to adjust anything. I then convert to mp3 so I can play the song in my car using a usb stick or I can burn a cd and leave it as a wav file

You can't use Garageband as an output from AM even using audiobus ( another great app) and you can't use garageband as an input, full stop. I don't know anything about I tunes, I don't have have an account and probably wouldn't be able to figure it out if I did, so I go the long way about it, but that's fine with me.

There mus be an easier way. But that audio mastering is very good and at the moment it is reduced in price. It still is https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/audio-mastering/id640515541?mt=8 as is audioshare which may or may not work I haven't used it so I don't know.

Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

cuthbert

Quote from: chip on December 01, 2015, 08:23:29 AMMaster it then record it on the BR80 using line in straight from audio mastering app...

I wouldn't recommend doing that for this reason: unless you're recording and playing back uncompressed (lossless) audio on both the iPad and the BR-80, you're going to lose more musical information as part of the lossy audio compression of "on the fly" recording methods that are used, as well as running through analog to digital and digital to analog conversions many times over.

I know that all BR models use a lossy audio compression algorithm in their recording technology - at least in multitrack mode, as in the BR-80.

So as a rule, you're better off digitizing your audio once, and then keeping it in the digital realm for the remainder of the process. To keep from losing further audio information, always export to a lossless audio format such as uncompressed AIFF or WAV before doing further work in another recorder or tool.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase