Can you mix and master on GarageBand for iPad?

Started by Hook, November 29, 2015, 02:58:01 PM

Hook

I have 3 uke tracks I recorded on my iPad in GarageBand using my irig acoustic it I don't see any mastering or rendering features. Nor do I see any track export settings, what do I do now?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

I suspect that the mixing and mastering are pretty obvious. If not, Google "garageband mixing and mastering" and you'll find lots of pages about it.

The part you're probably having trouble with is how to get the mixed & mastered song out of GarageBand as a finished stereo file. To do that, select "Export Song to Disk" from the Share menu.

If you just want an mp3 file, leave "Compress" checked and select the MP3 Encoder and whatever quality you want.

If you want a high-quality file to import into the BR or a DAW, uncheck "Compress" and select AIFF, which is Apple's equivalent of WAV. Most, if not all, BRs can import AIFF files directly.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

I just knew the all-knowing 64 was going to swoop into this thread and save the day.

Kudos.

Blooby

Hook

Thanks 64 but that looks like the desktop version to me. I don't have any of the choices in the top bar. I'm attaching a screen shot of what I see on my iPad.
Thanks

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

To export to AIFF if you're on the iPad, make sure the iPad is attached to your computer and you also have iTunes installed on the computer.

Next, go back to Garageband and tap My Songs at the upper left, and then in the next screen tap on Select. Select the Garageband song, and then tap the Share button on the upper left, and choose iTunes. From the Choose Format dialog, choose iTunes again, and then you'll see Audio Quality - choose Uncompressed (AIFF), and then tap on Share in the upper right.

The iPad will then export an AIFF to iTunes. It gets a little trickier here: Click on Apps in iTunes, and then scroll down to the File Sharing section and select Garageband. You should see the AIFF you exported on the right panel. Just click and drag this file onto your desktop, and you should be able to import it into the BR-80 or your other recorders, or Audacity.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

cuthbert

Here's a little visual demo of the iPad part of the export to AIFF workflow:

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hook

Thanks Cuthbert, that slide show is great. It doesn't look that difficult but I sure do hate iTunes. I will give all that a go later tonight.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on November 30, 2015, 12:22:18 PMHere's a little visual demo of the iPad part of the export to AIFF workflow:

Great idea using an animated gif to demonstrate the steps.  %)!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

i haven't had a chance to hook up to iTunes yet but I'm wondering what I'll be exporting, a mix of the song at the current settings or individual tracks. As I was recoding on GarageBand I noticed it seemed to record dry, I could change the amp setting after I recorded it. So if I can export individual tracks would they be dry or with the effect? I can't decide if I'm really interested in doing it all on the pad or just keep on keeping on as I've been, using it more as an instrument (or with this irig pickup).
I'm attaching a screen shot of this Auria multitracker app that looks pretty darn cool.
Rock on.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

Quote from: Hook on November 30, 2015, 08:23:03 PM...I'm wondering what I'll be exporting, a mix of the song at the current settings or individual tracks.

You'd be exporting a mix of all unmuted tracks with their current settings. You could export one track at a time by muting all the others, if that's what you're looking to do.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase