Boho and Blazey - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, November 28, 2015, 02:30:58 PM

Flash Harry

The vocal on this is the stand-out feature for me.

A great and unusual track, I get early Bowie too, but there's some Beefheart and a bit of early Genesis I think in the story telling style.

Nice one Andy.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Hook

I love it Andy, such good production but the kick drum might be a bit loud. Really dig the ebow, I forgot you got one and was trying to figure out what that was. Very cool.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

AndyR

Haha! I knew you'd love the sounds an EBow makes, Hook.

I can't make my mind up about the kick drum - I've had the comment from several places, and I was struggling to hear what other folks heard... until artokh74's comment, and I remembered my monitors were chucking it out quite aggressively - I was LOVING it :D

There's actually a bunch of rhythm stuff going on - a lot more than is usual for me - there's the basic drum program (BR1600 drums). But in various other places this is augmented by:
- Another drum program with Toms (2nd chorus I think)
- Various percussion tracks (tambourines and shakers - can't remember which ones I ended up using in the mix)
- Another drum track played on one of they Cajone drum boxes

I decided to go wandering off down the "rhythm" route because of Florence + The Machine. She explained somewhere that she couldn't/can't play anything, so it was all about "hitting stuff and shouting a lot until the music was done" ... I like the results of what she gets with that, so I thought maybe I'd give it a go, and not allow myself to play any of my usual guitar stuff.

It was working really well, except... When it came to mixing, I had a complete 'mare :D

I have some earlier mixes that sound really "down" - no bounce or joy at all. I'd decided to ditch the song altogether I felt so down about it... That was a couple of weeks or so. Then I tried remixing, taking the rhythm stuff ever quieter - and it just got worse and even flatter sounding.

Then I suddenly remembered why I'd been recording it like this - it's about the vocal and hitting stuff, the rest is just textures and pretty blue and gold colours...

So I took ALL the bass off the bass and turned it up. Loaded some onto the sub-mix of the other instruments to get some warmth, but turned them down. And... whacked the drums right up front... Mrs R started grooving, and we agreed that yeah, that's what the gigs felt like... so that's what we've ended up with.

So, in a way, it's kind of what I was aiming at. I've just been listening on my studio phones - the kick drum is carrying a lot of the "body" of the whole band, that was definitely deliberate, take it out and the thing sounds very weedy.

I suspect that's what we're getting - I've aimed for something kinda alien for me, got into the right ball-park, but overcooked it a bit and I'm not used to this sound enough to be able to tell yet!!

I am kinda planning on exploring more of this "hitting stuff and shouting" way of doing things - "hitting stuff" has never really formed any part of my concept of making music, and I kinda reckon that after 40 years, maybe I ought to give it a go!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Johnny Robbo

Stunningly good! Your songwriting & production skills are outstanding. I agree with the Bowie comparison, but I also hear shades of Peter Gabriel in there too. You have a singing voice that I'd kill for. Loved it!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

Jarle

Great vocal. Well written song. I agree with Peter Gabriel and Genesis comparison, that was my thoughts at the beginning of the song - but it soon became something else, AndyR maybe?
recorder
Boss BR-800

I think it's all been said but I loved it. Your production is faultless to my ears and the vox is to die for.   Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Flash Harry

I like the 'Hitting stuff' approach.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Johnny Robbo

Back for another listen... Heck, this is good!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk