Boho and Blazey - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, November 28, 2015, 02:30:58 PM

AndyR

I struggled to get this thing completed. I've been sat on it for weeks, finished, debating whether I was really prepared to let it go.

I loved the song when I wrote it, inspired by a wonderful week at the end of September. But the recording hasn't come out quite like I planned... I dunno, I wanted more joyous, or something.

It's about... well... it's about what ever you want it to be about... But I'm singing to someone called Florence :)

Boho and Blazey
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------

Boho and Blazey
Wait beneath the falling stars
They long to touch the glitter on your hand
They wait so patiently
That when you finally come to see
It's almost more than either one can stand

Boho has a garland in her hair
That she hopes will be the very one
That you decide to wear
And Blazey she has written out
Some things that she's afraid to shout
Some things to show you just how much she cares

Tonight you find out how far you've come
Tonight you find you're not the only one
You sing
You cry
You jump so high
You lift us up
So we can fly
Tonight we are all happy and crazy
Like Boho and Blazey

Boho has such trouble
With a world that bursts her bubble
And Blazey's left her homework on the train
And no-one ever wants to know
How troubles come but never go
It's only you who seems to share the pain

Even though they're thirsty
They don't stop to get a drink
In the rush to get a place upon the rail
In the hours that they have left to wait
It's only you they contemplate
It's never crossed their minds that you might fail

Tonight we find out how far you've come
Tonight we find we're not the only ones
We sing
We cry
We jump so high
We raise you up
And then you fly
Tonight we are all happy and crazy
Like Boho and Blazey

Copyright (C) 2015 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

bruno

Immaculate production as always Andy, this track has the touch of Bowie about it. Like it lots.
B.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Farrell Jackson

Very different Andy, in a good way. I wish I could write songs like this but it's not in my make up I guess. I think Bruno's "Bowie like" comment is close.... I can hear that but there's something that keeps it from falling square in the Bowie camp. Maybe it's your production style but whatever it is, I like it a lot!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Groundy

Brilliant Production Andy, Pure Magic....
Love it....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Oldrottenhead

bloody magic, i assume the lyric was inspired by a certain lady and her machines, i recall somewhere you mentioning going to see her.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on November 29, 2015, 03:24:07 AMbloody magic, i assume the lyric was inspired by a certain lady and her machines, i recall somewhere you mentioning going to see her.

Yep, Ms Welch, and her audience, almost the audience more... but she makes the audience like they are. I wasn't expecting to feel it myself, I just thought it would be a good gig... but it was such an experience, I had to go back for the 3rd and 4th nights. I was worried it "wouldn't be the same", but it was. If anything, even more.

This French dude's clips on twitter from the 4th night kinda sum up much of what I'm singing about https://twitter.com/frenchamerican9/status/647690950983221248

I was in roughly the same position as him/her that night, but on the other side of the stage.

"Boho" and "Blazey" are based on people I met over the three nights I was there.

The people who supplied the "Between a Crucifix and the London Eye" placard and the bags of glitter in those clips were beside me in the queue earlier in the evening. It was a bunch of girls and one VERY gay guy (the placard and the glitter were his) "in charge" of them all - they were in their early 20s. He was great, absolutely hilarious. He was telling them all how they were going to get to the front. He showed us the back of the placard which was made out like a huge postcard... It had this MASSIVE message to Flo on the back, how much she meant to him, how to contact him if she wanted to, and reminding her of how they'd met a couple years ago.

And the previous night, while waiting for my ticket collection, I'd ended up chatting to this 18 year old french girl who was skiving off her first week at uni to be there. The others in the ticket collection queue were saying how pretty this girl's garland was. I said "if you get to the front..." and she nodded to say "I KNOW!!! :)..." - but she didn't make it :(

- I've seen a picture somewhere showing her about 6ft too far to the right, Flo picked another girl (to be honest, the French girl's garland was a little too small and dainty!!). I'll see if I can find it.

=============

Musically, this one was a nightmare to get finished, because it didn't seem to contain the utter joy we were getting off that stage. Eventually I realised something else had crept in, equally important - on the last night I felt SO sad as well as the happy and crazy... it's very likely Florence and the Machine will NEVER be this good again, and she knows it too. So although the moment we were all in was like WOW... it was tinged with sadness too.

The other night I realised that this song with it's "TONIGHT, we are all happy and crazy" implies that tomorrow night we might not be... when I figured that out, and understood that it was a valid way of looking at it, I decided it was OK and I would post it after all (I was very close to never releasing this one).

And what do we think of the EBow? That was a one-taker, no redoing, no overdubs... like, apparently, the EBow part in, er... Heroes(!)

I often get compared to Mr Bowie - I've given up wondering why :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Blooby

Always love your posts. There is always a treat after the play button is pressed. Great production (although the kick seems a bit distracting to me), great song, great singing...everything. Perhaps not your intention as you said, but I'm loving the mood you've created with this tune and its lyrics.

Wow.

Blooby

Kenny B

Always a treat.  Great song.  Dig your style and delivery.

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

artokh74

To me that was something like a cool mixture of Bowie and mid- to late 60's McCartney, blending together in an original way. Nice to read about the origins of the song too.

The bass drum was really aggressive on my studio monitors so had to switch to headset and then it was fine. Loud still was fine. :)