Blues definitions (for those that need to know) T-ABF

Started by Bluesberry, April 14, 2009, 12:47:07 PM

Bluesberry

Found this on some other site, good stuff to go along with the T-ABF

Barrelhouse : Pub/saloon mostly with live (barrelhouse) music. Originated around 1900, a bar that served (often illegal) liquor straight from the barrel. Also the name for the music style.
Barn door guitar : Primitive kind of a guitar. Some nails hammered into a wooden wall, connected with wire. No frets. No tuning pegs. Albert King learned playing this way. He played left-handed upside down, on his first guitar he removed the frets.
Black Cat Bone : Voodoo amulet for good luck (opposite of a black cat crossing your way)
Burnett, Chester : Same as Howlin' Wolf
Cat house : See sporting house
Chicken shack : Pub/saloon mostly visited by Afro-Americans. Often live music, (illegal) alcoholic beverages. Other words are juke joint, juke or jook.
Crescent City : Same as New Orleans
Crossroads : Not only two streets crossing, but also a point where you have to decide something important which might affect your destiny.
Dust My Broom : Move on, get away quick, change the address
Four day creep, or fore (from: before) day creep : To betray one's wife or lover with another lover
Gris-Gris : African amulet. You can't live without, says the hoodoo man.
Hooch : Bootleged liquor
Hoochy Coochy Man : Voodoo preacher
John-The-Conqueror-Root : Voodoo amulet to keep your partner faithful
Juke joint : See chicken shack
King, Albert : a) Albert Nelson, b) the father of B.B. King
King, Riley B. : Same as B.B. (Blues Boy) King
Mojo : Staple amulet of African-American hoodoo practice, a bag containing magical items like the paw of a rabbit or a Voodoo amulet for good luck. Doesn't work always (Keep My Mojo Working...)
Nelson, Albert : Same as Albert King
Sporting house : House for very special sporting (brothel)
Voodoo (Hoodoo, afr.: Wodun, Voudon,Vodan, Vodu) : Very old west african religion. Imported with the first slaves from Africa to Haiti around 1500, later New Orleans. Religion of the slaves in the U.S. southern states. Appears in many Blues lyrics.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

BossMicroBRew

Whoa! Bluesberry, thanks for the grub here. I think in the southeast US it is actually pronounced "Sportin' House". HA HA :D :D

If anyone ever visits the panhandle of FL in their travels, mark down the "Bradfordville Blues Club" I ran across...big stop on the remaining blues circuit. It's just North of Tallahassee, in the boonies. Heck of a time to be had. Load of big names been there. Also famous for its submarine races...

http://www.bradfordvilleblues.com/

"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Bro

Hmm.. Thanks! I have been thinking of some of those things for quite some time :)
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Geir

I think you've just been promoted to "The Blues Professor".

Thanks for that great lecture that answered quite a few questions I didn't really know I had 8) But it was great, cause I did have those questions!

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony

Thanks for this but Albert King was only two years older than BB King.  That's pretty young to go fathering children.

Bluesberry

Quote from: Tony on April 14, 2009, 04:07:31 PMThanks for this but Albert King was only two years older than BB King.  That's pretty young to go fathering children.
Not sure Tony, I found this on some other site, it seemed to fit with the whole blues weekend that happened on Colabs thread, I got a few chuckles out of it for sure.  Maybe they are talking about two different Albert Kings, the Blues guitar guy and the other being the father of BB King?  Nice one Tony, you know your blues history. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand