Hello from the USA!

Started by bostjan, November 11, 2015, 08:53:11 AM

bostjan

Hi everybody.

I just stumbled on this site whilst looking for bug fixes for my Boss BR-80.  The information here seemed far superior to information I can access on Boss's website, so I decided to browse around the site a little.  Then I began to wonder why I had not found this site years ago.

I've been into home recording for ages, now, but it's not something I'm very good at doing.  No one really taught me much of anything, so what little I know about recording is from experimentation on my own.

I currently use the Boss BR-80, as well as Audio Evolution (Android app) and Sonar.  I also have some old multitracks I rarely use, like a Yamaha 16 track and a Boss 12 track with a hard drive issue, and an old Fostex 4-track tape console.  I have some good cheap mics, too: AKG C3000, and some small to medium diaphragm dynamics, along with a full set of drum mics, including AKG D112 and E/V's specific snare and tom mics.

As far as songs go, I like to record an eclectic mix of softer and harder rock.  I play guitar, bass, drums, synth, and I can't sing, but I still pretend I can.  I recorded my own double album ages ago, and I've done demos and EPs with a couple bands, but I don't have anything recent finished, just a lot of half-finished stuff (life tends to get me side-tracked for long periods of time).  I've got some other hobbies, too, computer programming, game design, writing, riddles (I particularly like the Martin Gardener books, as well as classic riddles), puzzles (Particularly Rubik's Cube, which I have my own solution for), building my own instruments, and physics stuff like holography and lasers.  My day job is nailed down as far as where I work, but what I do is in constant flux.  My official title is as a chemist, and most of the people with whom I work consider me to be such, although my studies at the university encompassed lots of physics, then a great deal of maths, and only a little chemistry and biology, but what matters is that I seem to have a better grasp of chemistry than the other chemists here, who have their own skills, for sure, but not so much with hard science.

So anyway, thanks so much for letting me be a part of this site.

Cheers,
Bostjan

Oldrottenhead

Welcome aboard Bostjan. And hullawrer from Scotland.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

chapperz66

Hi from the English East Midlands. Post some stuff soon.

Paul

cuthbert

Greetings bostjan, from the sunny shores of southern Maine - hope to hear more from you!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Greeny

Quote from: bostjan on November 11, 2015, 08:53:11 AMNo one really taught me much of anything, so what little I know about recording is from experimentation on my own.

There's a lot of members in that particular club on here, so you'll fit right in :-)

Welcome from London. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard from just south of London, sounds like you'll fit in well.     Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

bruno

Welcome to the site from Berkshire in the UK. This is a great site to share knowledge and make friends from around the globe. I've a degree in Physics, but sold my soul to software many years ago :-) so I can empathise. Enjoy the site, its great fun.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Jarle

recorder
Boss BR-800

Geir

Another welcome from Norway

Quote from: Greeny on November 11, 2015, 11:17:02 AM
Quote from: bostjan on November 11, 2015, 08:53:11 AMNo one really taught me much of anything, so what little I know about recording is from experimentation on my own.

There's a lot of members in that particular club on here, so you'll fit right in
indeed ;D

I look forward to listening to your music!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hilary

Welcome, glad to have you on board :D
recorder