Everyone who makes music should read this ... scary times folks!

Started by Super 8, October 26, 2015, 12:16:00 PM

Super 8

Flash Harry

Yep - A day job is harder than ever to give up.

The people who control the revenue streams will be in the seat of power, the actual doers will be at the bottom of the pile. This is not only true for the music industry, it is true for the food, energy and water industries.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Blooby

I find it interesting that the book industry has learned little from the music industry. I went to buy a digital book the other day only to find out it was $15.00. There is no physical product. Ridiculous.

Hook

I have very contradicting feelings towards this issue. I've always felt pretty strongly that art should be inexpensive to free, but that males it quite difficult for the artist. I make my living performing, I've had to work hard and accept a different type of success. I supporting four kids and am paid to play guitar 5-6 days aweek ....success. now if I can ever take the next step (& I do plan to) I kinda hope I'll continue to give my music for free and survive off of performing. I do realize and belive art has value but I prefer it to be  enjoyed by all.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Super 8

Quote from: Hook on October 27, 2015, 08:34:33 AMI kinda hope I'll continue to give my music for free and survive off of performing.
That's very noble Hook but, speaking personally, given the choice I'd choose to run the length of Oxford Street in rush hour absolutely stark b*ll*ck naked as opposed to performing to more than one person 'in concert'! It's hard enough for folks like you who have the confidence to perform their music in a live context but, from reading this article, it makes it very evident of the way the music industry has gone. For people like me who don't/can't perform their music 'live' it certainly makes for very sad reading. I'm currently trying to put a 'proper',  'commercial' album together. To compete with the high standard of production out there (it's just 'expected' these days - you can't get away with just making demos anymore! Most paying 'punters' (what's left of 'em!) want the definitive, finished, erm,  'PRODUCT' ("Yuk!")) In order to do my songs some kind of justice it's costing me a stupid amount of money (I've already sunk a fortune into this ... 'vanity project' if you will and I'm not even half way through the album!) The trouble is, I've hit both a serious financial AND psychological roadblock with it. This article seriously hasn't helped but, sadly, it very much highlights the way things have gone (seemingly very quickly!) with 'The Muzak Industry'. It's a completely different ball game these days & I'm just left thinking of late: What's the fookin' point really??      

Hilary

Yep, I believe a song needs to be played 1000 times on Spotify to earn 4p - crazy times. We do it, because it's our passion, and seemingly everyone rips us off along the way. I know musicians that do earn money from their songs but they have them registered with PRS (£50 per song one off payment) and make money by performing 18-20 original songs a night and selling merchandise.

I liked seeing all your quirky vids on Youtube Super 8 (and did buy your single to support you) - have you tried Crowdsourcing for the album?

Best of luck x

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Super 8

Hey Hilary! Hope you're well. Thanks for the kind words. I must apologise, I'm usually fairly chipper but, mid-project and having read this article, I just hit 'a low' hence my 'what's the point?' comment. Of course you're right: 'We do it because it's our passion!' Thing is it's been my (over-riding, all encompassing) passion now for as long as I can remember and, I dunno, I just thought I'd have SOMETHING to show for it all by now (instead of a mountain of musical-related debt! Yeah, I know, 'woe is me'. WWorld's smallest violin and all that!) As for the whole 'crowd sourcing' fund raising thang. Not my bag I'm afraid! I'm too proud to beg & that avenue just smacks of desperation IMHO. Anyway, here's my latest ('quirky') vid to (hopefully!) cheer us all up eh?!! Take it easy & all the best ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqXyrwkmjRk

Hook

I do feel for you brother, I watched a friends family completely fall apart because they put $40,000 into their kids cd. They had a producer guy selling them a bill of goods and they put everything hey had up. Personally I've never had any real money to spend on recording. 14 years ago I had given up music, had a daughter and couldn't justify spending the time. I was an entertainer but not doing music. Years later music is what kept me an entertainer through a huge recession/almost depression...but I perform and have a niche, being kids music.
I'm not sure I agree about home recording  not being enough to make it. I certainly don't think I've produced anything Goodnuf but I've heard much produced on this site that was very radio ready. Some of it was yours. It's not about how much money you sink into it (in my humble opinion) it about who you know. If you only write you better figure out how they do music for film and TV. Find an agent that deals with that side of the business. If they ask for money up front they are shiesters/crooks/frauds. They should only make money if they make you money. I believe those things to be true, hard but true.  Haven't been able to find an agent yet but nmy kid did. I've been to countless seminars with agents and industry perfessionals as has my wife and daughter and they all say the same thing. It isn't easy and it isn't probable.
  I don't mean to be a downer and I think that you are an extremely talented guy. I'd be real careful about spending all your money. And I'd be real careful about going into debt or any more debt I don't think it's worth it. But I have four kids to support and I do it as a musician.Not a Very well known one but a musician none the less.
Good luck brother,
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Super 8

Quote from: Hook on October 27, 2015, 02:58:23 PMGood luck brother,
Rock on!
And you Hook, and you! Thanks so much for taking the time to put that down Dude - means a lot brother! I suppose I'm just ... I dunno? 'Surprised' I guess at exactly how much the music industry has changed in such a relatively short space of time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some fame-hungry muppet - far from it! (I'll leave that to the hoardes of 14 year old 'fame for the sake of fame' X-Factor wannabees!) I've never really had a clear vision of exactly what I was gonna do with my life to be honest. ('When I grow up I wanna be an Astronaut Sir!") Having done more than my fair share of crapola jobs so far to date I decided I would finally knuckle down & concentrate on the one (and only!) thing I feel I'm remotely good at doing ie: making muzak &, for once in my life, give it a fair go and invest in it. So yeah, I'm about halfway through an album and ... and ... oh Man!!! I'm sorry, I'm REALLY boring myself here! I'm gonna sign off. ANyway, thanks again for your comments.     

Hilary

We are all on our own path and what's right for someone might not be right for someone else. Everyone hits a rough patch, it's up to you how you deal with it. At the end of the day, you'll have at least half an album you'll be proud of.

Niki Menage gave up her job and was prepared to live on the streets to pursue her dream of becoming a rapper. I suppose it depends on your personal circumstances and where you are prepared to draw the line.

You can't say don't bother, you won't make it because you just might, stranger things have happened (there will be people waiting to shaft you at every step though!)

I'm still trying . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça