Main Menu

Zappled

Started by chip, October 23, 2015, 02:34:07 AM

chip

Yes folks, I have been bombarded with apples. I have now acquired an i pad 4 such is this massive app attack. I intend to download garageband when the i pad gets here.

It seems I have been well and truly zapped into the ios era, this now leaves me in something of a dilemma, meaning a new learning curve and more stuff. I will need some sort of device to plug the guitar into the i pad, I have looked but don't quite know which gadget to get as some get glowing reports and others not so, so very confused about this.

It may also mean the end for the br 80 and all my other hardware. I like my Yamaha THR5 but will I need it?
Of course I may not take to the virtual world, I'm hoping I can get over my drum problems using the garageband app, something I've struggled with for many years. Also the guitar sounds in these apps ( people keep going on about amplitube being the dogs b) worry me, being that I have tried many amp sims although they were not in the virtual context and found them quite lacking.

Also vocals, I have the rode but how do I connect it to an I pad? Then there's audiobus for using the apps I have like thumbjam?

I think the best idea is to get up and running with garageband first and get familiar with it before buying the whatever it is I need. This is a massive jump for me, I'm excited on the one hand but terrified on the other :o
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Hook

Awesome brother but don't go tossing all your gear away yet. I haven't actually dabbled in recording on my ipad (yet) but both Nick_ODH & Geir have done some very impressive tracks entirely on the ios devise. I like to consider my pad an instrument (many actually) but it's without a doubt so much more. Not sure what you need to hook up but checking out the irig stuff is probably a good starting block.Looking forward to your updates and quite curious of your recordings. Do you have anything for sale?
Rock on brothe!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

chip

Hi Hook. As for sale stuff, that is not allowed on the site. On another note, I like to use the harmony cosm on the BR, I don't know whether this can be done using garageband plus mastering and stuff. I'm thinking of this for the guitar http://uk.line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/ or this http://uk.line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport-vx/ for a mic as well. I will keep the gear till I see what happens. I do like the little BR80

chip

A little update. OK so it seems I am now a convert to IOS. I have bought, so far. Harmony voice, Arturia imini, Addictive synth, Garageband, Thumbjam, Drum loops HD ( jury still out), Rock drum machine 2 ( Great drums if only they worked properly with audiobus and the GB inter app) and Audiobus. I have also got various free apps too.

What do I think. I think the apps are great, but, there are some glitches like the drum machine app I mentioned plus other apps crashing now and again for no reason. So it's not all great. I bought the line6 sonic port which is flawless, I use it with the Line 6 mobile app and I am somewhat impressed with the app, good sounding virtual amp sims for one and coming from me that's a big statement.

Now I have my head around Garageband, it's quite easy to work with, I like the flow, it seems reasonably logical and for me quite easy to use. However mastering is another point, so at the moment I am mastering the Garageband songs on the BR80 using a line out from the i pad to the BR80. I did one last night, played it in the car after throwing it through Audacity and it sounded very impressive ( MP3) and it was dead easy to do. Just record the song in GB, record to two tracks on the BR then master and transfer to the PC ( non Apple). I could mix the song in GB while recording to the BR, tweaking levels, adding effects, changing the position of instruments on the fly and it all sounded very smooth too on the finished song. Yes a bit of a long way round approach but as I say it worked.

So far so good. I think there are still some issues with this sort of approach, the odd crash, strange events, but one thing's for sure, my drumming hassles continue but are slowly improving. I like doing music on the I pad it's a great inspiration, it's quick, most of the time it works great and I shall continue using it.