I phone volume/stereo line out/line in

Started by chip, October 19, 2015, 06:02:39 AM

Hook

Ok, so I did some playing around and I am definitely not getting a stereo signal through the guitar input. I am getting a stereo signal through the line in but it is a lower level than I'm used to. I also want to know why I'm getting my internal mics on when I try to record line in. I can turn the rec level down all the way and it cuts the mics off and does nothing to the line in. Why wouldn't boss put some kind of level on the line in???
I just recorded a track of drums (GarageBand) through the line in and I got enough level to work with but I had my iPad volume all the way up, make sure your phone volume is up. With the Tascam 008 I would clip at that volume, some peculiar choices boss made when designing the br80!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

chip

Quote from: Hook on October 19, 2015, 03:05:36 PMOk, so I did some playing around and I am definitely not getting a stereo signal through the guitar input. I am getting a stereo signal through the line in but it is a lower level than I'm used to. I also want to know why I'm getting my internal mics on when I try to record line in. I can turn the rec level down all the way and it cuts the mics off and does nothing to the line in. Why wouldn't boss put some kind of level on the line in???
I just recorded a track of drums (GarageBand) through the line in and I got enough level to work with but I had my iPad volume all the way up, make sure your phone volume is up. With the Tascam 008 I would clip at that volume, some peculiar choices boss made when designing the br80!

Hey Hook. Yes there is no stereo signal from the guitar input and no there is no internal control for line in, which I sort of knew anyway. The good news is. On the rock drum machine I managed to figure out how to boost the volume by turning up the drums in the mixer session which is in the apps menu, now it's more than enough using line in and is stereo.

Also, I got the thumbjam app, I couldn't resist. Wow is all I can say, I never in my wildest dreams thought that one day I would be using a phone for musical purposes, the sounds from this app are terrific and very realistic, at the moment I am trying to figure it out. Again I was concerned about the level and I was right it was low, but then I found a extra level slider called I phone boost, which can boost the app level from 0db to 10 db, using this slider got me in the level territory I wanted. That thumbjam though,is far out.

Boss should have done something with the line in, I seem to remember on the MBR this could be done?
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

cuthbert

Yep, the MicroBR did allow you to use input level control wheel for line-in, and the BR-80 does not.

However, the BR-80 does support line level input but also mixes line level with the built in mics, so if you find your levels are low check that input thumbwheel is all the way down and that you're actually feeding a line level signal at the correct volume into the recorder (as you did).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Geir

Quote from: cuthbert on October 22, 2015, 12:39:30 PM....
However, the BR-80 does support line level input but also mixes line level with the built in mics, so if you find your levels are low check that input thumbwheel is all the way up and that you're actually feeding a line level signal at the correct volume into the recorder (as you did).
.... ah but you don't want to do that. !! As the line in goes straight to the recorder, bypassing the rec-level ans "sens" settings you want to turn the rec level all the way down so you dont get the mic signal mixed in on your recording! (se page 53 in the manual)

If there's no trouble with your cable (mini-jack <-> mini-jack) you should be able to get a high enough level from your iPhone. I've done it many times.

A better solution is to get Audiobus and Audioshare, two apps that come in very handy. Audiobus lets you connect the output from one app to the "input" of another. Audioshare can be used to record input from a source, but ALSO to share audiorecordings between a number of apps! Check the review on iosmars or at http://www.musicappblog.com/

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hook

Glad you joined in the conversation Geir. I get confused with audiobus but I haven't really tried either. I need to accept that my pad is so much more than just every instrument.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

Quote from: Geir on October 27, 2015, 04:37:39 AM
Quote from: cuthbert on October 22, 2015, 12:39:30 PM....
However, the BR-80 does support line level input but also mixes line level with the built in mics, so if you find your levels are low check that input thumbwheel is all the way up and that you're actually feeding a line level signal at the correct volume into the recorder (as you did).
.... ah but you don't want to do that. !! As the line in goes straight to the recorder, bypassing the rec-level ans "sens" settings you want to turn the rec level all the way down so you dont get the mic signal mixed in on your recording! (se page 53 in the manual)

Oh dear...I remembered the mix function of the input wheel, but forgot the correct direction to get full line-in. As Geir said, make sure the input wheel is all the way down for 100% line-in. I'll update my last post on that.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase