I phone volume/stereo line out/line in

Started by chip, October 19, 2015, 06:02:39 AM

chip

Hi. I have now got an i phone, the first app I got was rock drum machine 2. It sounds great and is easy to use but, when plugged into the BR80 line in, there is nowhere near enough volume for recording purposes. Also I'm not sure these apps are stereo. So the questions are.
Are they all this low in volume when connected to a MBR or BR80?
Are they in stereo?
What can I do about the volume issue?

I am interested in Thumbjam but again I ain't to sure if it's gonna stack up.
I tried the drum app using line out from the phone to input ( guitar) using a stereo 1/4 inch jack, It was better in regard to volume but it didn't sound like stereo to me. I quite like the idea of some of these apps, just a little nervous about their sound/ volume capabilities.
Many thanks.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Oldrottenhead

They should have normal volume. When you select line in as input you can select it to be stereo or mono. Make sure you turn up the input signal and mastering level.  And male sure the destination tracks  are panned full left and right to get full stereo spectrum.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

Hey Chip, congrats on the new iPhone. I've never use the app you're talking about but all the apps I have used are in stereo. On my other recorders I've actually had to plug in to two separate mono channels in order  to get stereo.
 On the original MBR you could plug into the line out and it works great with iPhone but on the BR 80 I find it's a little different. When I plugged into the line in it activated my stereo mics, which I thought odd so I took a cord that runs 8th inch to quarter inch  and went direct through the guitar Input and I wasn't sure if I was getting stereo. of course the quarter-inch side of the court doesn't appear to be stereo.
 I haven't had much time to play around with the BR 80 but I will try to later today. Stereo drums are pretty important to me also and I love garage band for drums. Thumbjam is great and most of the sounds are fine mono. Animoog is another favorite of mine and it's definitely stereo so I'll try to do something with that. This is definitely a concern of mine going forward with the BR80 so let's figure this out. I think I have a eighth inch to quarter inch stereo adapter so I'm gonna try that with a stereo eighth inch cord.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

chip

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on October 19, 2015, 06:17:39 AMThey should have normal volume. When you select line in as input you can select it to be stereo or mono. Make sure you turn up the input signal and mastering level.  And male sure the destination tracks  are panned full left and right to get full stereo spectrum.

Hi . The BR80 doesn't have any gain control when using line in, there is no way to adjust the volume, I think?

Quote from: Hook on October 19, 2015, 07:03:28 AMHey Chip, congrats on the new iPhone. I've never use the app you're talking about but all the apps I have used are in stereo. On my other recorders I've actually had to plug in to two separate mono channels in order  to get stereo.
 On the original MBR you could plug into the line out and it works great with iPhone but on the BR 80 I find it's a little different. When I plugged into the line in it activated my stereo mics, which I thought odd so I took a cord that runs 8th inch to quarter inch  and went direct through the guitar Input and I wasn't sure if I was getting stereo. of course the quarter-inch side of the court doesn't appear to be stereo.
 I haven't had much time to play around with the BR 80 but I will try to later today. Stereo drums are pretty important to me also and I love garage band for drums. Thumbjam is great and most of the sounds are fine mono. Animoog is another favorite of mine and it's definitely stereo so I'll try to do something with that. This is definitely a concern of mine going forward with the BR80 so let's figure this out. I think I have a eighth inch to quarter inch stereo adapter so I'm gonna try that with a stereo eighth inch cord.
Rock on!

Hi Hook. I took the phones out from the i phone 1/8 inch then connected the other end 1/8 inch to a stereo 1/4 inch adapter and plugged into the guitar input on the BR80. I used fat compression? cosm to listen to the app, this boosts the volume but it's not the same as line in??? The kaossilator sounds great using line in. The i phone, perhaps hasn't the gain the kaoss has. I don't really want to shell out on a headphone amp so using the 1/4 inch method may have to suffice.

The i phone came my way as a gift from my sister who upgraded to the i6, mine being i5, these apps and the thread about them have me in the grip of app gas, but I have to know how they are going to stack up in the BR80 before parting with the hard earned

I have now retired the 1200 as I found it to much hassle and to slow to use, the BR80 is much faster and ideas are far easy to get down and up and running.
I shall wait on thumbjam until more info is forth coming, but it's taking some doing when one is in the grip of app gas attack. ;

Edit... Concerning line in. Turn the input down and the sens down and the on board mics will not be heard. I think? I don't use them as I use the Rode so I will have to double check that.

Hook

You won't regret thumbjam, best $10 I ever spent!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

I guess the question is does the guitar input on the br80 accept a stereo signal?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

chip

Quote from: Hook on October 19, 2015, 09:08:34 AMYou won't regret thumbjam, best $10 I ever spent!

Don't Hook, I can't keep my finger off the button :-\

chip

Quote from: Hook on October 19, 2015, 09:09:51 AMI guess the question is does the guitar input on the br80 accept a stereo signal?

We need to know the answer, I can't see why not but.

Hook

Quote from: chip on October 19, 2015, 09:11:11 AM
Quote from: Hook on October 19, 2015, 09:08:34 AMYou won't regret thumbjam, best $10 I ever spent!

I'm just saying.
Quote from: chip on October 19, 2015, 09:13:16 AM
Quote from: Hook on October 19, 2015, 09:09:51 AMI guess the question is does the guitar input on the br80 accept a stereo signal?

This looks like a job for 64 guitars...like a bird, like a plane.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

chip

Quote from: Hook on October 19, 2015, 09:15:43 AM
Quote from: chip on October 19, 2015, 09:11:11 AM

I'm just saying.
Quote from: chip on October 19, 2015, 09:13:16 AM

This looks like a job for 64 guitars...like a bird, like a plane.

Indeed. Here is a neat review of the drum app I have http://main.iosmars.com/2014/09/11/rock-drum-machine-review-drum-loop-app-gets-on-the-bus/