"I Play The Fool" a Hook original

Started by Hook, October 12, 2015, 09:14:45 AM

Hook

I Play The Fool
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Between lots of work, 4 children & and extreme bought of gas I finished something with the BR80. Just a little tune I wrote and recorded in about 30min. sat morning before my gig. I used the live rec mode on the br80 then imported it into MTR mode which took a lot longer than I expected. I added the lead guitar (the Gio not the new PeeWee, still have o sort out the intonation) yesterday morning. Finally mixed it down and mastered it this morning. There are quite a lot of things to like about the br80, it's very different from the MBR which, even though I knew it was still surprising. Just wanted to go through the entire process on the br80 next tune I'll probably produce a bit more.
1 uke/vocal(stereo)
1 lead guitar
I Play The Fool
written & performed by Hook
I don't think I have made a good pirate
Or a soldier in the Roman ranks
I doubt I would've lasted in a coal mine
And I'm not careful enough to rob banks
I don't have a sense of entitlement
so royalty I guess I'm not
I can't handle snakes are wrestle crocs in the lake
I can't remember all the things I forgot

But through history & time
if there are reincarnated lives
I am imagine we would find
a cycle that's helped me survive
I play the fool

I might make you laugh and maybe smile
If you stick around I'm sure I'll fall on my face and a little while
Minstrels and jesters must decorate my past
I wonder if it was just as lonely then
to be such an ass

I don't see myself in politics
Or saving souls by preaching the word
And I'm sure I never would've been a good doctor
Your life in my hands that's absurd
It's possible I could've been a good Indian
If it had only been flutes, visions and corn
Perhaps I might've been a good scholar
If only in ancient Greece I'd have been born

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Redler

Excellent! Really fine lyrics indeed!! They fit nicely with the atmosphere of your music! Liked the clear production!

I haven't ever tried that method with Live Rec/MTR...actually, I haven't recorded anything on Live Rec mode...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Groundy

Yes Hook, Like it,
a tune in 30 mins wow..
Nice clear sound both instruments and vox...
well done.....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Bluesberry

Utterly fantastic set of lyrics......almost makes me think of a Greeny song, something about the images it evokes.....a song so strong it envelopes me in its sphere of full goodness.  You are one of the finest lyricists on this site Hook, and this one is top of the class, well done.  It sounds real good all stripped down.........but I would also love to hear a fuller production on such a strong set of lyrics..........and all in 30 minutes...........cripes.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

This is so quintessentially Hook. I probably could have pegged it as from you even if I'd only read the lyric. Hell, maybe even from just the title.

If this "blackout bump" project of mine elevated into my consciousness any particular Songcrafter above others – stylistically, thematically – it would probably be you.

Part of me thinks this song should be redone bigger – with bass, drums, and whatnot to pour on the emotional sauce. But all that might rob the song of its essential loneliness. It's possibly perfect as is.

Blackout Bump - week of 10 October, 2015
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Great song and lyrics, i love the vocals, like the fx on them and the flanged guitar is really nice.
Darren
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Bluesberry

You are right Ted....quintessential Hook....the purest essence of Hook, poured forth as a libation to sooth the souls of us fellow travellers on the path less trodden.......Hook stripped down........I can almost picture the scene.....Hook recording this out in his car.......nothing on but a pair of spandex shorts........singing his heart out ....for what, fame, fortune, a flask of Irish whiskey.......not any of these.......just the sheer act of creation and emotional release and the desire to share with us similar minded folks who gather in this wondrous World Wide inter-web site.....and today we are blessed to hear something like this........because Ted was good enough to bump it back up from the mists of yeasteryear.........it's all so happening right now.....it's all we really have anyway.....beautiful song Hook

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Rene Asologuitar

Quote from: Hook on October 12, 2015, 09:14:45 AMBetween lots of work, 4 children & and extreme bought of gas I finished something with the BR80. Just a little tune I wrote and recorded in about 30min. sat morning before my gig.
+++++++++++

Hi Hook,
Great to hear this excellent story, and wonderful composition.
Very emotional, and clearly from the heart.
The electric guitar is so lovely!
The lyrics are so real and very relatable!
I love this recording.
Welcome 2023!!!
Rene

Frank53

Great lyrics, intimate music, and heartfelt delivery. What more could one ask for. Really enjoyed it. Nice work!
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

thetworegs

Loving the lyric good bump missed it first time round

If Life is a dream then use your imagination