Problems with Boss BR 80

Started by DuFf, September 25, 2015, 03:38:34 PM

DuFf

Hi All!

Newbie here, lurked for a while and just bought my first Digi recorder after some info here.
I bought a used Micro BR 80 that appeared new.
The memory card was missing and I understand that is why the song list and contents are not there.
 re :"no songs" message onscreen, however when I try to access the built in rhythms by entering the rhythm button, the Metronome comes on and I can't access the rhythm menu. Tempo can be changed etc but just the metronome is activated, screen won't change.I can exit out of it alright.

Is the rhythm  section loaded on the sd card that is missing?

Any advise is appreciated.
I am wondering if I get a new SD card , format and download the reset files from the Roland website if the drums will load and be able to be accessed.
I am "stumbling blind" here.

Cheers
DuFf
Life is hard....it is harder if you are stupid.

Oldrottenhead

it appears from what i read, you do not have an sd card in your br80. sorry if i am mistaken.

put an sd card in your br80. the card may require formatting or may not. but drums are not on the sd card but are in the br80's built in memory/software/program.

but you do need an sd card in your br80 for the unit to work. if no sd card in unit,  it won't work.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: DuFf on September 25, 2015, 03:38:34 PMwhen I try to access the built in rhythms by entering the rhythm button, the Metronome comes on and I can't access the rhythm menu. Tempo can be changed etc but just the metronome is activated, screen won't change.

The BR-80 has three modes -- Live Rec, MTR, and eBand. The built-in rhythms are only available in MTR mode. If you press the Rhythm buttom in Live Rec mode or eBand mode, you can only access the metronome.

Since you said that your BR-80 is used, I wonder if you got the manual with it? If not, you can download it here:

http://www.boss.info/support/by_product/micro_br_br-80/owners_manuals/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

I figured 64 would swoop down and save the day. My question is where does he fine a telephone booth to change his duds these days?

Here is an additional training manual: http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/MICRO_BR_BR-80_Training_Guide.pdf

This one appears different as well: http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/BR80WS01.pdf

Good luck. I hope to hear some music from you soon.

Blooby

DuFf

Wow.....thanks for the replies
I have the Manual and have followed the instructions but
When I press Rhythm, I can not get the screen with the Kit selection to come up.
I wonder if the card has to be inserted for the function to work even though the drum kits are in the unit itself.
I have contacted the seller who has "found" the sd card and he says he will send it to me.
If the solves the problem then " WOOT" if not, he has offered money back which if is legitimate is welcome and a little surprising offer. He claims he has had it for a few years and never really used it (found the instructions too complicated and confusing).
When I get the SD card and load it, I will post results and may have a few follow up questions.
 Thanks for the help so far.

Cheers
DuFf

SteveB

Welcome DuFf - hope things work out.
You should have a whole lotta fun around here. Good luck.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

DuFf

I have to say WOW again.
I have just been browsing this site and cannot believe the amount of information sharing on this and other devices.
I have years of stuff to catch up on.
Big thanks to all those who reply to questions with such time and detail.
Hope at some time I am able to contribute.

;)

Cheers
DuFf 

Oldrottenhead

i dont have the br80 but i have a micro br and a br800, both units need sd card inserted to work.

so you will most likely need an sd card.  you could probably try any sd card you have at hand, it doesn't have to be the one that comes with the unit.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Yeah, you need a card in the BR80 to create a Multi-track song, in order to use the drum-machine.

Good luck. It's a fabulous toy/tool !!!! ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

DuFf

Well...the card arrived in the post just now and with the manual I was able to get the song selection going and play along with them.
I still cannot access the drum kits but suspect it may be a case of pilot error.
I expected to be able to choose the drum beats and sample them before choosing one to play along with.
I may be looking at this the wrong way as I have not spent enough time with the unit.

My Line 6 spider Jam has a menu to choose drum beats first sampled and then looped.

I will have to spend a lot of time with this manual I think.

Cheers
DuFf