Unwanted noise

Started by Migs, April 11, 2009, 09:59:00 PM

Migs

Ok, now I seem to have more electronic stuff a am getting more buzz through my amp.
My new BR (and favourite gadget) is still run on batteries so that can't be the problem.

Do you people have any tips on getting rid of buzz ?  Is it a lead thing?  Is it a transformer thing ?  How do I stop it? If I let my tele just hang, I get lots of buzz but touching strings or anything metal seems to stop it so it seems to be a grounding issue.

While I work out what to do I am going to go for a wander on Bondi beach and listen to all the Trans-Atlantic Blues festival stuff I downloaded this morning.  You guys who contributed rock by the way.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

BossMicroBRew

Not sure. Are you close to any fluorescent lights or is a nearby TV on? Turn them off if so. It could be any number of things really.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Davo

It helps if all of your gear is running into the same power jack, so that grounding is less an issue. I use a power strip.  TV's and lights are major buzz generators.  Yesterday I got buzz though a humbucker guitar because I was on my laptop. 
If its still an issue shielding will help a bit. 
You may have to keep your hand on the strings.  Ive seen studio guys attach a ring on the pinky finger of your picking hand, that is connected to the bridge with a short length of copper wire.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The Reverend 48

Migs
I had a similar problem which dissapered when I spent a few extra dollars on pro guitar cables..Hope this helps 8)
BTW I am not at all Jealous at the thought of you wandering on Bondi Beach while I am in Cloudy Manchester UK............
Maybe there is a god making your amp buzz..... sweet justice ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Migs

Ok.  I had unplugged almost everything and was just running the tele into the peavey amp with a Hosa lead.  I had the laptop downloading stuff and that connected to another amp on standby so I guess that was the problem.

Thanks for the feedback.  Will tidy up all my things and run them through one power board and see how that goes.  Was listening to one of those Boss Tone Radio podcasts the other day and they were recommending keeping leads as short as possible - which I do with my stereo speaker cables - so might get some short leads for home use.

48, if it makes you feel any better, it rained here today.  The most annoying part was that I was at the club at the north end of the beach when it started so had to stay there drinking beer till it lightened up.  Lucky I had beer and an iPod full of Trans-Atlantic Blues Fest to listen to.

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Migs on April 13, 2009, 07:58:00 AM48, if it makes you feel any better, it rained here today. 
So there is a god then ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously I'm Glad you have sorted it....

Migs

Looks like my PC is the biggest problem... and, in particular, the AC adapter.

Greeny

Have you tried different guitars to see if there's any variance in the noise / buzzing? I sometimes have the same problem with my Tele... it'll sometimes pick up all sorts of weird signals in my flat (tv, radio, lights etc). It's a common problem with single-coils, but doesn't stop me loving Telecasters!