Vote for the Sep/Oct 2015 "Originals" festival

Started by 64Guitars, August 24, 2015, 07:04:18 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from September 1 to October 31. Voting starts now and runs for 5 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on August 30th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Originals" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Covers" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=23798.0

Please vote in both polls.

As always, we encourage you to write an original song for the Originals festival, but covers are welcome too unless otherwise stated in the festival's description.

You may have noticed that we've changed the category names. The former "Artists/Covers" is now simply "Covers". The meaning hasn't changed though. Any festival with one or more specific artists as its theme is always a covers-only festival, so it made sense to shorten the name. The former "Theme/Genre" is now "Originals". It's a bit of a misnomer since, although we encourage you to write an original song if you can, covers will be allowed too in most cases. We just wanted to shorten and simplify the name.

So, "Covers" is covers only, and "Originals" is originals preferred but covers welcome unless otherwise stated in the festival's description.

• MythicalPlace Fest - Write a song about a mythical place.

• FatalDiseaseFest - Songs about fatal diseases.

• Original Country and Western songs - Write an original country & western song - no covers for this one

• Radical Songs - inspired by the likes of bill hicks george carlin lenny bruce et al pushing the boundaries.

• JingleFest - Write an advertising jingle for any product or service; real or imagined. Or cover your favourite jingle.

• Unusual Time Signatures - Songs in an unusual time signature (5/4, 7/8, etc.). Most popular songs are in 4/4, 3/4 or some derivative (8/8, 6/8, etc.). The idea of this fest is to record something that's not in those common time signatures.

• SwampFest - Songs about the bayous and swamp people.

• DreamFest - Songs about dreams or dreaming.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

I think I'll write a radical country and western song about a swampy dude sitting in Útgarðar, dreaming about getting a new liver

. ..... oh and it would be in 13/4 and catchy as hell, and be an advert for Cøca Cøla
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

heg577

Quote from: Geir on August 26, 2015, 02:44:54 AMI think I'll write a radical country and western song about a swampy dude sitting in Útgarðar, dreaming about getting a new liver

. ..... oh and it would be in 13/4 and catchy as hell, and be an advert for Cøca Cøla

Good idea - and the rest of us will vote on it...
There is a beautiful symphony playing within us all..

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

Concerning the name changes, I for one kinda like having a covers fest & an originals fest. I've always thought of it that way at least.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

How early can we post songs? I've assumed and bought a cowboy hat.
Yee haw!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on August 28, 2015, 09:51:58 AMHow early can we post songs?

Please don't post songs for either festival until midnight Tuesday, September 1st Greenwich Mean Time
(which is 8 PM Monday, August 31st in Tampa, Florida).

Midnight Sept 1 GMT in various locations:

California, USA (PDT)     GMT - 7     Mon, Aug 31 at 5:00 PM
Chicago, USA (CDT)     GMT - 5     Mon, Aug 31 at 7:00 PM
Tampa, Florida, USA (EDT)     GMT - 4     Mon, Aug 31 at 8:00 PM
Ontario, Canada (EDT)     GMT - 4     Mon, Aug 31 at 8:00 PM
New Brunswick, Canada (AST)     GMT - 3     Mon, Aug 31 at 9:00 PM
United Kingdom (BST)     GMT + 1     Tue, Sept 1 at 1:00 AM
France (CET)     GMT + 2     Tue, Sept 1 at 2:00 AM
Norway (CET)     GMT + 2     Tue, Sept 1 at 2:00 AM
Finland (EET)     GMT + 3     Tue, Sept 1 at 3:00 AM
Sydney, Australia     GMT + 10     Tue, Sept 1 at 10:00 AM

If your location isn't in this list, see the following page to find your current offset from GMT:

http://www.greenwichmeantime.com/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

danieldesete

Same hour in France and Norway ! If I loose my watch I'll ask Geir what time it is !

Country music is way out of my radar, could you please recomend me an artist and a disc our two to find inspiration ?

Daniel
hou hou ha ha

64Guitars

Quote from: danieldesete on August 29, 2015, 03:22:46 AMCountry music is way out of my radar, could you please recomend me an artist and a disc our two to find inspiration ?

The term "Country & Western" usually refers to classic country music from the 1920s to the 1960s and includes "Western" (cowboy) music. After the sixties, "Western" was dropped by music marketing people and the newer music of the genre became known as Country. It changed quite a bit and merged with pop, rock, etc. to make it more marketable to the masses. :( Personally, I can't stand the new country music, so I'm only familiar with classic Country & Western.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_music

If I could only recommend one artist to check out, I think it would be Hank Williams Sr.

Here are some classic country hits and some popular western songs with links to YouTube.

Classic Country

Western

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track