Vintage Yamaha Amp GAS attack

Started by Blooby, August 23, 2015, 07:24:28 AM

Blooby

I went a tad nuts these last few weeks of the summer. I was doing so well there for a while, too (sigh). At least they were all ridiculously good deals (my rationalization du jour). Scored a new-in-box Rode NT1A mic, a new-in-box stereo tube preamp, an Electro-Harmonix Q-tron+ (in transit), but the coolest thing was this old Yamaha amp:

I know it will be a yawn-fest for most of you, but it is from the same family of the first amp I ever owned (purchased about ten miles from Hook's house by the way). It was solid state, but it had a great, spongy clean sound that took pedals really well. I sold it for a tube amp mainly because that's what you're supposed to do and always regretted it. Anyway, I went to a local music shop to say hello to the owner and to get his take on Summer NAMM when I spied this in the corner. I played it for a few minutes without much glee, but after some knob-turning, I felt like I was 18 again. I think I played it for an hour before one of the workers gave me some playful grief. It was way on the cheap as well. Side note, my favorite guitarist these days is a guy named Jack Pearson out of Nashville. He played in the Allman Brothers for a few years. Check out this thread to be blown away by him. I've walked down to the stage several times to check out his set-up as his tone is always tears-inducing. One time, he had a Fender Blues Junior on a rusty fold-out chair, and another time was one from this Yamaha family. It drove home the point that much tone truly is in the hands.

Peace.

Blooby

bruno

I'm a big fan of Yamaha guitars (although never owned one - I really wanted an SG) - and I have a vague recollection of these amps - I'm sure one of my friends owned one of these many, many years ago. Can't wait to hear some recordings :-)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Farrell Jackson

You have been busy with the GAS this summer! I remember those amps Blooby. Is it a twin and how many watts is it? My son inlaw has an older solid state Yamaha amp, I think it's brown tolex. It's about 25 or 30 watts with a single 12" speaker. It's got a great tube like growl. He uses it for his lap steel to get those Jackson Browne "Running On Empty" lap steel dirty tones. GAS is good!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

chapperz66

Fine looking amp.  Is it a combo or a head?  I can't quite decide from the camera angle.  Yamaha make some wonderful kit. 

Some years ago I was a General Manager with Fedex who did the physical distribution for Yamaha-Kemble in the UK.  I bought a few things from them with staff discount.  Happy days.  I'm pretty much a comitted strat man but the other guitar I use when I feel the need for a change is a Yamaha MSG Custom.  It's a great guitar - I'll put a picture up when I get a chance.

Paul

Hook

Sweet, but I'm a little disappointed that you passed on the Envelope Filter.
Buy on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Blooby on August 23, 2015, 07:24:28 AMI went a tad nuts these last few weeks of the summer. I was doing so well there for a while, too (sigh). At least they were all ridiculously good deals (my rationalization du jour). Scored a new-in-box Rode NT1A mic, a new-in-box stereo tube preamp, an Electro-Harmonix Q-tron+ (in transit), but the coolest thing was this old Yamaha amp:

I know it will be a yawn-fest for most of you, but it is from the same family of the first amp I ever owned (purchased about ten miles from Hook's house by the way). It was solid state, but it had a great, spongy clean sound that took pedals really well. I sold it for a tube amp mainly because that's what you're supposed to do and always regretted it. Anyway, I went to a local music shop to say hello to the owner and to get his take on Summer NAMM when I spied this in the corner. I played it for a few minutes without much glee, but after some knob-turning, I felt like I was 18 again. I think I played it for an hour before one of the workers gave me some playful grief. It was way on the cheap as well. Side note, my favorite guitarist these days is a guy named Jack Pearson out of Nashville. He played in the Allman Brothers for a few years. Check out this thread to be blown away by him. I've walked down to the stage several times to check out his set-up as his tone is always tears-inducing. One time, he had a Fender Blues Junior on a rusty fold-out chair, and another time was one from this Yamaha family. It drove home the point that much tone truly is in the hands.

Peace.

Blooby

Speaking of vintage Yamaha amps, do any of you remember those wedge shape Yamaha amps of the late 60's and 70's that had the huge Styrofoam speakers? That's going back a ways but they were a very clean sounding amp but didn't seem to catch on. I haven't seen one in years.

Farrell

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

kenny mac

Wow nice one,I remember a few amps that I wish I hadn't sold.
And a bass.
Sometimes you spend the rest of your life trying to get the sound you had when you started.
Like hook says,     Buy on .