Bruno has got a new toy

Started by bruno, August 23, 2015, 03:01:09 AM

bruno

Track 102 - sample Behringer
Time:
0:00
Volume:
So was somewhat intrigued by Hook's Behringer pre-amp. I've never thought that I needed one as the BR1600 appears to have input trims on the way in. At £36 on amazon, next day free delivery was a steal - so I got one. May well get another so I can stereo mike - they are fab. Fattens out acoustic recordings (valve setting) - and really lifts the vocals. I've always struggled with recording the brooks - but with the pre-amp, they really shine imo.

Here's a nothing track - just playing around to see what it sounds like, Brook Tavy, mando, vocals and bass (through the pre-amp bass setting. Using the SE2200T valve mike. Some echo and verb, that's it! I think it brings recordings to life, see what you think .....

Added a second recording - acoustic and mando (thanks brother - am loving the mando :-) ) The mando is now restrung and lemon oiled, plays just great - and the weird thing is that I can read music with it as it is strung exactly the same way as a violin :-)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Blooby

That does sound fab. That arpeggiated acoustic sounds like it is in the room. Digging both recordings, but the first one really spoke to me. Really dug the vibe on that one. Both could easily back a movie scene...say of four guys posing for a picture in an American parking lot, one exposing his skivvies to prove to others he actually owns and wears them.

Just a fleeting thought.

Blooby

Farrell Jackson

Great grab Bruno! A decent pre amp is worth it's weight in gold for bringing out the best of instruments and vocals. I'm not familiar with this Behringer pre but I have an ART pre that looks similar to the controls on yours. I rarely use the built in pres on my recorder (although they are very clear) because I like a little boosted coloration that I get from tube pre amps. Most times I use two pre amps. One in front of my compressor and one after. I can hear a hint of good tube saturation on both recordings Bruno and I like it....nice!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Hook

Super sweet sounds brother, I really love my pre-amp!!
Glad you're digging the mando!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Groundy

Great sound Bruno, so clear......

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Redler

Congrats! Sounds full and gentle! Nice playing, too!

I do own ART pre amp - it's covered with dust. Gonna get familiar with it....
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Very nice. Yep, that's some smooth playing, and both tracks sound very present.

Like Kari, I also have an old ART preamp kicking around someplace, and an old MXL condenser that I never really used very much at all. I might try this experiment myself...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Geir

Well thank you very much for posting that. Now I've got more gas than a Viking after a night of moose and cabbage stew.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

bruno

Quote from: Geir on August 25, 2015, 02:47:28 PMWell thank you very much for posting that. Now I've got more gas than a Viking after a night of moose and cabbage stew.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Glad to be of service :-)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600