Started by TomH86, April 10, 2009, 12:07:33 PM

TomH86

FallFourteen
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This....

Kody

Another one, already?! Man, you just keep coming out with great stuff!! I like this one~ Good work!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Wiley

Are you sitting on your porch again?  It sounds like cars whizzing by!! Great job as always.  Has a dreamy quality to it.

TomH86

thanks, im trying rly hard. this is the likely to be the best you're going to hear from me at the moment...The ideas are drying up.

Geir

Great song again Tom. Like your voice and that persistent yet laidback guitar-style of yours!! I could like to hear a "cleaner" production of this one, to get to hear the character of your voice better!

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

Quote from: TomH86 on April 10, 2009, 06:05:33 PMthanks, im trying rly hard. this is the likely to be the best you're going to hear from me at the moment...The ideas are drying up.
Well you know what you have to do if you feel like your ideas are drying up?  You have to do like Neil Young, change up your whole musical scene.  This is what kept NY going and remaining relevant and writing great songs for 30 years.  It is the same advice he was trying to give Curt Cobain at the end for him, Curt was complaining to NY about his ideas running dry.  Look at NYs career each album is radically different than the last, he changes musical style with each album.   If you keep writing songs in the same style over and over it all starts to sound the same, even if the songs are all brilliant.  Try to write something totally outside what you notmally write, just for the hell or it.  Write a country song, a rock song, an acoustic blues song, if you don't know how to write one of these, then spend time learning how and you will learn something from the exercise as well as get out of a rut.  Get an electric guitar and write a song with that.  NY wasn't much of a piano player but her wrote songs on piano just because it makes you write different.  Get a harmonica and write a Neil Young song complete with harmonica.  Every song I write I try to write in a style that is different than my last, for two reasons, first I am trying to learn how to write songs, and second it would get boring writing the same style song over and over.

Sorry for rambling on but it is a real bad feeling to have your ideas dry up, there is only one way out of it, change it up.  Think about the NY model.  Thats what happened to Nick Drake, he ran out of ideas because he kept writing the same kind of song over and over, all freaking brilliant, but all sorta the same fingerpicky stuff.  On his last album he was trying to mix it up, he even has a kinda acoustic blues song ("Know" from Pink Moon).  God I love that album, but he ran out of time for some reason, his next album would have been killer, and I predict he was going to go in a new direction with it.  Anyway Tom, take my advice or leave it, try something different just for the hell of it, you are not locked into any one style.  I am listening to Pink moon right now, Parasite just came on, man what a brilliant album.  Go for it Tom.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

lg

Wow, that is great advice Bb!
Tom, we all love your stuff here. You have blessed us with many new and great songs.
I hope that you can get over this hump. you are a great talent!
There is nothing I can say to you for advice, I wish there was...
But, in my life I have written 2 songs only!
Maybe go for a trip, a holiday weekend, kick back with new experiences...
I don't know, but don,t let in get you down!
Let it flow, don't force it, you have put out like 10 to 12 songs her in a month or so,
maybe you are trying to force a song out, with it hasn't yet been experienced!
Goo d luck, my friend, you WILL succeed!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Wiley

That is great advice. Being not much of a song writer myself maybe I will have to give some thought to this.  Maybe I can come up with something totally mine. I am envious of you Tom at least you have done songs.

BAG

I really liked that.

How did you get the crackly old phonograph sound????
It sounds like what i need for the intro of Wish You Were Here.
Just a roadie again.....

Jim1970

Nice work!!

Jim from Jersey
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR