Murder at the Ridge Farm (by Arto Hietala)

Started by artokh74, August 06, 2015, 02:58:26 PM

artokh74

That's funny, I had the tune and the topic of this song for years in my head...always on the 'things to do one day' - list. Then about two weeks ago the lyrics just all dropped in one big swoop like in three minutes.

The song obviously owes a huge debt to Nick Cave and Tom Waits, as well as the old blues.
Waits actually has a cool song called 'Murder in the Red Barn', but I don't think it's directly about the Marten case you mentioned. Now there's some 'threatening swing' for you :)

AndyR

Wow! I was thinking Tom Waits, listening to this - wasn't aware he had a "Murder in the Red Barn", I'll check it out. It's possible it is connected to the same case, apparently it caused quite a stir in the UK press, kicked off the media's interest in murder, spawned plays, songs, and moved into popular folk culture (it came up in a BBC4 documentary about Britain's obsession with murder a year or two ago)

It wasn't something I was planning on doing now, haven't even got any tune or anything, it's just one of those "that's an idea" things that lodges in your head. I think "Bloody Murder Blues" went some way to embedding it there too (not sure whose version I heard originally, but Otis Span's is on youtube)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

AndyR

Haha!! I've got Bone Machine - so I've obviously heard TW's Murder in the Red Barn before!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

AndyR

Nope, that's not the Maria Marten murder - I wonder if he heard the phrase "Murder in the Red Barn" and wrote his own story?
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

artokh74

Quote from: AndyR on August 10, 2015, 04:16:13 PMNope, that's not the Maria Marten murder - I wonder if he heard the phrase "Murder in the Red Barn" and wrote his own story?

probably what happened.  Tom seems to have some fascination with barns, as in you never really can be sure what's inside another man's barn- kind of way. Plus the word BARN itself kind of gives a song the context, it's time and place in history and culture (rural Americana). Another great barn burner is of course "Don't Go Into That Barn* from Real Gone, which is one of my favorite Waits performances.

Groundy

Playing ok today, must have been my laptop...
And its certainly been worth the wait..
Fantastic Harp and guitar work too....
Well done.......

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

artokh74

Thanks!   The soundcards can be bitchy sometimes. Glad it was worth a retry.