Great potential lyrics from someone whining that he or she can't write a song

Started by Ted, August 05, 2015, 11:17:20 AM

Ted

Over on Reddit, someone posted this frustrated post about how he/she can't write lyrics.

I thought the little pity party was a great example of writing with immediacy, and from personal truth. It seems that this person can't access that when he/she is writing something "important" like a song -- or he/she doesn't realize that that is exactly what he/she needs to do.

Quote from: katparry /r/songwritingHey Reddit, I've been trying to write songs for about two years now, and I have been having a lot of problems. Whenever I write something, its like it immediately flows away from me , never to be related to again, and feels completely inauthentic and not true enough when I go back and read what I've written.
I don't think that anything I've written is particularly good, and I am not sure if I'm kidding myself with trying to write songs. I am a singer, and I'm learning how to create music, and I feel silenced without the words to connect to how I feel...beyond the regular difficulty to actually describe how I'm feeling. The most lasting string of words from my consciousness are scrawled on crap tons of napkins or small pieces of paper or written in notes in 5 million different apps, that I never go back and look at. I have journals and journals full of writing that I haven't gone back to because of the earlier issue that I posted about. So many unfinished projects...
I just get so frustrated when I want to express how I'm feeling about something and I can't find the words... I feel like words suck.. (or maybe I just don't know enough of them?) I always resort to playing other people's music or effin around on the piano for hours and never bringing in my vocals.
is this songwriting thing something you are born with? Why would God give me a voice but no ability to words? how can I really have nothing to say? WHAT CRUELTY IS THIS UNIVERSE??!

Does anyone want to take a shot at culling lyrics from that?

Here is the original post: I have all the problems. I am convinced I am doomed. : Songwriters
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

There are at least 10 different songs in that in that quote, I'll give it a go!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

The actual post could be song lyric without changing a word but it would be a long song . The chorus could be the very last line "WHAT CRUELTY IS THIS UNIVERSE" . My thoughts: If it were a snake they would have already been bitten.....

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Hilary

Crikey 2 years to write a song! They should just get on and do it, if it's a bit crap the next one will be better (hopefully). Jean Sebastian's one of the most gifted lyricists on here and SteveB. We all have our own talents and can't be good at everything.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

T.C. Elliott

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London