Blues Scales.....

Started by The Reverend 48, April 09, 2009, 03:04:36 AM

Bluesberry

The way you play satchwood, burning up the fretboard like you do, I can't imaging you using any kind of "box" system, you are just so darn fluid.  I guess we all need our anchor points to keep things in key.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Satchwood

When I'm playing in certain fave keys, to be honest with you, I don't think of boxes, or scales, or chords, or pretty much nothin......

It's some of those other keys that bring me back to earth  8)
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Sprocket

Quote from: Satchwood on May 20, 2009, 09:27:45 AMI then personally do a lot of sliding around between box positions to connect the different positions to get more elaborate smooth sounding.  I also think of chord positions to help me out and use Major key / relative Minor key knowledge as well.  Here are a few Major/minor correlations that I find helpful:

A minor is the relative minor for C Major (A is three frets down from C)
B minor is the relative minor for D Major (B is three frets down from D)
D minor is the relative minor for F Major (D is three frets down from F)
E minor is the relative minor for G Major (E is three frets down from G)
F# minor is the relative minor for A Major (F# is three frets down from A)

I hope this helps, and doesn't sound confusing...

Ive got the circle of fifths(there seems to be many variations)...so the relative major and minors is easy for me...here it is if anybody else might be interested.

Although Im still curious about the bending and sliding...some notes sound good bent, some dont...and others sound great when slid into. Any help??? 

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Sprocket on May 22, 2009, 12:12:48 PMAlthough Im still curious about the bending and sliding...some notes sound good bent, some dont...and others sound great when slid into. Any help??? 

This is where it gets interesting....... 8)
 every Blues player has different ways of using Bends and Slides as well as hammer ons, pull offs, double stops and vibrato to enrich their playing...
Its mainly trial and error  ::)
altho with bends, I think its important to bend up or down between two notes in the Blues scale not just a random bend going nowhere......
Hope this helps ;)

Rockatron

All this info is extremely useful.  I'm a confused man when it comes to theory and understanding is I hope what I'll find here on this site.  Thanks for all your great/knowledgeable comments. 
recorder
Boss BR-80

"Play, just play..."