Thanks to Songcrafters...

Started by Mike_S, June 18, 2015, 07:30:33 AM

Mike_S

Basically, I find it hard to know what to write a song about. I have a creative mind normally, but when it comes to topic's and knowing what to write a song about i find it very difficult. I know people say just write from the heart etc, and thats the best way or some other angle, but basically most times i try to write about anything (lyrics) i somehow to my eyes seems quite contrived or basically just crap, to me anyhow.

I do write a lot of instrumental stuff which i enjoy, but just trying to take part in the community spirit here i have tried my hand at singing and writing lyrics too with varying degrees of success. But basically what i want to say thanks about is the Songcrafters Fests. For some reason when a song topic is chosen for me i have been able to write the lyrics more easily, no idea why but i thought i would let you guys know!!

Cheers

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

Yes the festivals do help with that. It's like having a remit to write to. I find when collaborating on songs by writing lyrics to tunes folk send me. That when said tune has a title or tune writer tells what inspired the tune the words pretty much write themselves. It's the blank white page  that is the bugger.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

fenderbender

Quote from: Mike_S on June 18, 2015, 07:30:33 AMBasically, I find it hard to know what to write a song about. I have a creative mind normally, but when it comes to topic's and knowing what to write a song about i find it very difficult. I know people say just write from the heart etc, and thats the best way or some other angle, but basically most times i try to write about anything (lyrics) i somehow to my eyes seems quite contrived or basically just crap, to me anyhow.

I do write a lot of instrumental stuff which i enjoy, but just trying to take part in the community spirit here i have tried my hand at singing and writing lyrics too with varying degrees of success. But basically what i want to say thanks about is the Songcrafters Fests. For some reason when a song topic is chosen for me i have been able to write the lyrics more easily, no idea why but i thought i would let you guys know!!

Cheers
Hey Mike your doing well buddy
just keep on recording and keep your imagination alive-!!!! 8) 8)
Festivals do help !!

Mike
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

StephenM

I woke up at 4 am as my ladies cpap machine is currently sounding like a trumpet.  Not likely I am going back to sleep for a while... so I started digging around the site a bit.

Since I joined 2.5 years ago it is so hard for me to imagine this post Mike!  For me I find myself always digging your lyrics and vocals.  Glad you were able to push into that and really come out on top.  Imagine the folks who never do. 
I also admit that I probably would not be singing and writing lyrics without your encouragement.  Writing lyrics and recording vocals takes practice, just like learning to play guitar or anything else for that matter. 
Seems like every aspect of what we do as songcrafters requires a certain learning curve, and every improvement we make as well.
The festivals do help although as wild as my imagination is I don't really need them...lol... but I do try and participate in them as well as I can but I do not ever feel compelled to.
I was trying to figure out if there was going to be submissions to the 2022 sampler jukebox.  I can't seem to find anything.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Hi Mike, I know what you mean, I usually end up writing the same old boy leaves girl, girl leaves boy which is ok although it gets somewhat tedious to play and to listen to. But every now and then I hear people talking and I can hear a sound bite or a topic I wouldn't have thought of, supermarkets or cafes, on trains or in fact anywhere someone's having a conversation. At this point I must say that I've always enjoyed and appreciated your music so you're obviously doing it right for meand but I do agree that sometimes it's easier when someone gives you a subject to write about. Keep doing what you're doing but try being nosey and you just might get an idea from another source.
Regards Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

WarpCanada

I do like unexpected subject matter in a song...

Songwriters I admire, the big names, like Mark Knopfler, say, have a keen ear and are always listening for things that tweak their interest.

If Mark released an album in 2023 with a song about a guy who runs a hot-dog cart in downtown Chicago, it would be as great as any other Mark Knopfler album, probably really great.

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

SteveB

When writing a reply to the BR-Recorders thread the other day, I was shocked and surprised at realising it's roughly 8 years since I recorded anything! As my retirement 'Man-Cave' is getting to be something like at last, I unboxed my BR1200 to test, and as usual and wonderfully, Boss didn't let me down. All the functions seem to be working okay. I just have to wait until the rain in my part of the UK stops (about 5 days solid up to now), before attempting any acoustic recordings. The condenser mike picks up everything. Ah, well. !@014
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

StephenM

Quote from: SteveB on July 18, 2023, 07:00:03 AMWhen writing a reply to the BR-Recorders thread the other day, I was shocked and surprised at realising it's roughly 8 years since I recorded anything! As my retirement 'Man-Cave' is getting to be something like at last, I unboxed my BR1200 to test, and as usual and wonderfully, Boss didn't let me down. All the functions seem to be working okay. I just have to wait until the rain in my part of the UK stops (about 5 days solid up to now), before attempting any acoustic recordings. The condenser mike picks up everything. Ah, well. !@014

I find rain can make for some lovely music backdrop though... but hey will be happy to hear some of your music...indeed.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

Quote from: StephenM on July 18, 2023, 02:40:59 PMI find rain can make for some lovely music backdrop though... but hey will be happy to hear some of your music...indeed.

I was thinking the same.  Bring on the rain... And thunder! Let's stop at flood :)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper