Anyone else struggling to find something to say...

Started by AndyR, May 24, 2015, 02:01:07 AM

AndyR

... on these atmospheric tracks?! :D

I've only heard stuff like this as background music to images - eg films, so I'm not really listening to it, it's just part of the experience - the best or most effective stuff is when you don't even know it's there. Either that, or I've heard it as intros/outros to songs and, well, I'm usually there for the song itself. I've never really listened to stuff like this as the "main course", and I'm not sure I'll ever feel the need to.

Anyhoo, I've listened to several on here, all are effective stuff, cool sounds... I couldn't actually do it myself - wouldn't know where to start... But on every single one I'm sat there at the end of it looking at an empty comment box with nothing to say...

I'm even feeling a bit guilty! It's the first time I've felt the need for something akin to a "like" button here on songcrafters - a kind of "I've heard it, it's cool, but I'm not moved enough to say anything..."

Anyone else struggling like this? It's probably just me  :-[ ;D

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

AndyR

Quote from: Hilary on May 24, 2015, 03:48:21 AMDon't know what to say Andy . . .  ;D

Listen to War, it's superb https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=23205.0

:D :D

Yep, love that one - but on that the backing is, well, backing... backing to what I'm actually listening to, the voice. If you took the voice off, and the sound effects, I'd be just as bemused as before!

Sounds like it's just me! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Hook

I can see where your coming from Andy (but don't worry about it ;)). For most of my years as a songwriter (25+) I've been a lyrics guy. There was a Morrissey quote I heard in High school, "The music always plays 2nd fiddle to my Lyrics" & that was my mantra until the last few years here at songcrafters becoming more interested in the production side. I've always really enjoyed the instrumentals that come from this site & actually a little envious of the ability to pull off a song without lyrics. So that's part of the reason I'm challenging myself with this fest. The other reason is that it seems to me, TV & movies (outside of performing) are the only way to sustain yourself as a musician & since I've been able to do that for the last 10 years, I really need to be doing it until my time on this earth is up (not much of a retirement plan). So I'm looking at these 26 festival tunes, I hope to make, as a portfolio of sorts to perhaps expand my options professionally. My production quality is my largest set back, talent and ability I guess are 2nd & 3rd. I love performing and hope to be able to for many years to come but I'm only getting older, uglier & increasingly tired.
As far as commenting, well...you can't be expected to comment (or like ) everything, but a comment does kind of solidify a (presumably) complete listen so even a "Rock On" or a "well done" is uplifting to me. Since a lot of us are thinking cinematically, comparisons to movies seem fitting or perhaps descriptions of what you saw in your brain while listening. Or maybe just a good old "braw".
You've done your fair share of commenting and support on this site, we can't be active all the time. I also don't think there should be some expectations in giving or receiving comments but we all know the more active you are in listening & commenting the more you get. When I listen, & I listen a lot, I like to comment but I do tend to comment less or last on members tunes that don't seem to comment (participate)at all.  This is a community of songcrafters after all not soundcloud!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Jarle

Quote from: Hook on May 24, 2015, 06:45:20 AM....

As far as commenting, well...you can't be expected to comment (or like ) everything, but a comment does kind of solidify a (presumably) complete listen so even a "Rock On" or a "well done" is uplifting to me. Since a lot of us are thinking cinematically, comparisons to movies seem fitting or perhaps descriptions of what you saw in your brain while listening. Or maybe just a good old "braw".
You've done your fair share of commenting and support on this site, we can't be active all the time. I also don't think there should be some expectations in giving or receiving comments but we all know the more active you are in listening & commenting the more you get. When I listen, & I listen a lot, I like to comment but I do tend to comment less or last on members tunes that don't seem to comment (participate)at all.  This is a community of songcrafters after all not soundcloud!

Listen to the wise man...
recorder
Boss BR-800

fenderbender

Like!!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D
No seriously -I can see where your coming from Andy -
sometimes I get a guilty feeling as tho' I'm not putting enough back into SC as SC has given me through the years
The members here are just great-
I suppose at times, me being an oldie ::) ::) ::)some of the posts I am not up to scratch with some of the artistes that members cover -so I cant really comment -but you guys have lead me down alleyways and bye ways in music that would have past me by-
So it's still an adventure in music for me -
Long may the varied and styles of music continue
Viva the differences in music tastes and styles -'cos I reckon it keeps me on my toes-

Tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Farrell Jackson

I am in the same boat as Andy. I do listen to the songs in The Atmospheric Fest but find I'm not sure what to say once the song is over. I feel lame just saying "hey that was good" or something like that. I usually key in on vocals, lyric, some guitar work, or a good chord arrangement which spurs my review. With the Atmospheric songs I'm not finding the words although I do enjoy listening to them.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

AndyR

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on May 24, 2015, 05:32:43 PMI am in the same boat as Andy. I do listen to the songs in The Atmospheric Fest but find I'm not sure what to say once the song is over. I feel lame just saying "hey that was good" or something like that. I usually key in on vocals, lyric, some guitar work, or a good chord arrangement which spurs my review. With the Atmospheric songs I'm not finding the words although I do enjoy listening to them.

Farrell

Phew! It's not just me, then - this is EXACTLY how I felt :)

I like to comment on every track I listen to. I decided years ago (on another site) that I'll only post positive comments. So sometimes I don't comment - maybe I really don't like or approve in any way of something (very rare, especially on here), or maybe it just passes me by and I don't get it at all so there's nothing to say. Most of the time, there's something I appreciate that I can pick up on - song construction, nice chorus, maybe, something like that... performances such as vocal, background vocal harmonies, guitars... recording/capture of performance... any number of things...

But yesterday, I was at a complete loss!

I did figure something out for myself last night, though (I was thinking about Hook's post, where he mentions "Rock on" or "braw" - thanks for that :) it was nothing new, but it did get me thinking from a different angle).

When I'm having a listening session, I'm VERY aware if I've said "Nice one" three or four times in succession... I imagine the people I'm saying it to will notice I've said it to everyone. But, of course, they don't... not in the way I imagine.

A lot of folks on here have developed a similar response (and they all mean "I had a listen, appreciate it, keep up the good work") - when I receive that myself, I take it entirely in the spirit it's meant, and it makes me feel good, I have no worries at all that they might have said it to someone else 3 minutes ago, and could say it to someone else in 3 minutes time. The big thing is that they listened to mine and gave me a nod of the head - and that feels good.

And actually, on one level, that's all any of us are after on here - a few listens and some sort of acknowledgement or affirmation that we're barking up the right tree...

:) :) :) :)

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on