20$ guitar gets a makeover……

Started by The Reverend 48, April 07, 2009, 06:21:23 AM

The Reverend 48

If you remember my good fortune, in picking up a great strat copy for £10
Here is the original thread:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=1936.0

I have always fancied creating a SVR Tribute Guitar...........Of all Stevie's guitars this one is my inspiration.....

So I have been beavering away all weekend...... ::)
The best thing about the 20$ guitar was the neck and body which would form the basis of my project so I sold the loaded pick guard on eBay for £20 and the Tuners for £10.......

So I bought some MIM tuners for £15 a new Black 3ply scratchplate £10
Some wicked vintage wound, wax wired, "Hot" Wilkinson pick ups £30
And finally authentic SRV, custom and fender decals £15......
I had some real aged Knobs and pick up covers...........

Finally it came to Relic/distressing the guitar.....My bottle went I could not do it
I couldn't take a sander to a beautiful guitar......... :-[ :-[

The Tobacco burst is not as dark as it looks in the pic......So my 20$ guitar is now a £50 Stevie Ray Vaughan Tribute Guitar...But don't be fooled it plays beautifully and has more bite than a Texas rattlesnake...... :)

...Hopefully you'll hear from this guitar  over the holidays......... ;)

Finally for any purists this guitar is for fun and will never be passed off as a real "Fender". I have way too much respect for that.......

Greeny

Nice work, 48! And I don't blame you for not wanting to 'distress' that lovely sunburst finish. This is one cool guitar  :)

Bluesberry

48, your strat is the exact same colour as my 2008 Am strat.  I am glad you didn't take a sander to her, that finish is lovely.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Kody

Looks nice! I love the aged pup covers and knobs~ very cool! You've inspired me to start a new topic for my Ebay project guitar
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

SE

Thought I would share my old Horhner tele a neighbour was about to throw her in the bin but as any guitar nut could never see that happen so I rescued her heres some snaps oh  hand to buy to pots and a rubber for the tone changer.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Greeny

Quote from: side effect on April 07, 2009, 01:58:37 PMThought I would share my old Horhner tele a neighbour was about to throw her in the bin but as any guitar nut could never see that happen so I rescued her heres some snaps oh  hand to buy to pots and a rubber for the tone changer.

This is a lovely guitar. And for free?! Sometimes miracles do happen  :D

The Reverend 48

I love Blonde Teles How does it play?

guitarron

a very nice acquisition-free makes it better

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

Quote from: side effect on April 07, 2009, 01:58:37 PMThought I would share my old Horhner tele a neighbour was about to throw her in the bin but as any guitar nut could never see that happen so I rescued her heres some snaps oh  hand to buy to pots and a rubber for the tone changer.

Damn!  I've been keeping my eye out for a free guitar, but unlike where you live, they don't seem to fall from the sky around here!

When one does, I want to make a guitbass for my stepson.  Who am I kidding? For me!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

guitarron

Quote from: side effect on April 07, 2009, 01:58:37 PMWhen one does, I want to make a guitbass for my stepson.  Who am I kidding? For me!
how about a baritone guitar? are they the same?

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand