Boss SY-300 (was "Boss new product teaser video")

Started by 64Guitars, April 11, 2015, 10:48:23 PM

Flash Harry

Quote from: AndyR on April 24, 2015, 01:21:37 AMAll I really want is (on top of my guitar cr@p):

A real grand piano
A real Hammond
A bunch of real session musicians (including a drummer who can see into my soul and knows what I want even though I can't express it)
A decent space to record it all in
24/7 Curries
Hot and cold running girls

Have you been looking at my Xmas list?

Nyquist - yeah, you ask for an ounce, you get 2.2ounces. Cool dude.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

:D

OK - I'm cured of this thing...

...I've been reading up about the Roland GR-55 with bundled GK-3 ... £509

If I was going the guitar + synth route, that's what I'd do.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

I think that's the route. Then you have midi as well

I have a Godin Solidac - which I love to bits, but the Godin LGX-SA looks like it has all the nice bits of the Solidac with built in synth access. I would dearly like to try one of these.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

bruno

The problem with analogue to MIDI is just old plain physics - Nyquists sampling theory - you need at least two datum points to determine the frequency when sampling. As frequencies get lower (bass notes) - the bigger the delay as you have to wait at least 1 cycle to determine the frequency, and then there is the conversion itself. Added to that is the question of getting the right note - and generated bum notes....

Now there has been a whole bunch of research and clever algorithms to try a get over this, particularly by Roland - but that is still the problem.

The SY-300 is probably using some form of (analogue) phase lock loop for the oscillators - I suspect that's exactly how the EHX micro synth works, and that tracks perfectly. Filters on top of the oscillators is possibly digital (not on the EHX). So it never enters the digital domain, so can't determine the note digitally, as so support midi. This is just pure conjecture on my part - but this is what I suspect!

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

alfstone

Quote from: AndyR on April 25, 2015, 02:57:53 PM:D

Andy, it's ok for live, but the best way, actually, for  home  recording, is the Fishman Tripleplay. Better tracking, easy to install, and the whole world of soft synths is open to you.
I nave both of them, so I Know what I'm talking about...
If you listen to my recordings, I use a lot soft  synths driven by Fishman Tripleplay.
Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

alfstone

Quote from: Speed Demon on April 25, 2015, 03:21:08 PMQuick! Somebody buy me a Godin!

Godin guitars are great anyway, regardless of synth access. I hav a Freeway SA and an ACS SA.

I may suggest to look at Amazon.com, I don't know why but often there are some good offers on Godin guitars:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4946.0

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

AndyR

Quote from: alfstone on April 26, 2015, 02:36:20 AM
Quote from: AndyR on April 25, 2015, 02:57:53 PM:D

Andy, it's ok for live, but the best way, actually, for  home  recording, is the Fishman Tripleplay. Better tracking, easy to install, and the whole world of soft synths is open to you.
I nave both of them, so I Know what I'm talking about...
If you listen to my recordings, I use a lot soft  synths driven by Fishman Tripleplay.
Alfredo

Thanks for that Alfredo - stunning stuff.

My problem with that option is that it looks like it would commit me to going to PC and DAW for recording. And, at the moment, I don't go near a PC/Laptop while tracking, mixing, or mastering. I don't use any soft synths at all.

I've been watching some vids for both the Triple Play and the GR-55. I must admit the Triple Play route is very tempting. Especially when they tell me it tracks better (I've heard the GR-55 tracks very well for its own tone bank, less well for controlling other synths via midi).
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

Andy - you need to get into PC production, tracking in a dedicated bit of hardware is fine, but the flexibility that a DAW gives you is phenomenal and can be relatively inexpensive - or even at no additional cost.

- Kurt Vonnegut.

Speed Demon

Flash is right. Using a DAW offers virtually unlimited use and flexibility of VST plugins and VSTi instruments.
The sky is the limit. I have over 100 plugins for Audition and Mixcraft 7 Pro. I probably won't live long enough to use them all. Give it a go. A gunfighter can never have too much ammunition.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.