Boss SY-300 (was "Boss new product teaser video")

Started by 64Guitars, April 11, 2015, 10:48:23 PM

Gnasty

Yes I do have to admit that this sounds better than the ones in my HD Pod, but I still look at it as an effects pedal.
 As a guitar player I would only use it as flavor. Your amp is your sauce and your effects are your spice.  Im not saying that I don't like synth sounds as I imagine some in my songs but just not overloaded.  After five minutes of watching somebody play this way I find it a little bit too ridiculous over the top. I even find my whammy pedal to be the same way.  Tom Morello makes some pretty cool solos with them but I've heard some awfully stupid ones he has done too.

As far as this thing is built and the visual aspect of it. I thought at first it would be a new Boss recorder. Put in a bigger screen and faders at the bottom and it would be an awesome looking Br. Wouldn't that be more sensible as a business decision? Wouldn't they sell more units than this thing would? I can see this being $300-$400 American but $700?
That's a lot!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Here's another video. Just after 4:30, he says "And you notice I'm playing chords". The interviewer then says "So there's no problem tracking more than one note at once", to which he replies "That's right". So that pretty much confirms that it does indeed track chords properly. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if some patches don't work as well with chords as other patches. We'll have to wait and see on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2zVqYD_SUE

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

bruno

It sounds like the EHX POD on steroids. I don't think its trying to convert to MIDI, but latching on to the frequencies. Very interesting though.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

64Guitars

In this one, he demonstrates how you can change the filter by how hard you pick the strings. (from about 2:20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zg5WdvwajY

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

The first half of this video isn't very useful unless you happen to understand the German language. But the second half (from 4:15) is a demo that's quite different from what we've seen so far. He goes through a lot of patches that we haven't heard in the other videos. The organ sound at 4:24 is pretty cool. The first four notes he plays with that organ patch sound like the intro to "Hope You're Feeling Better" by Santana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAoZ92EyK3U

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

I'm a synth fan - this just does not grab me, it seems like an attempt to put a fairly mediocre synth behind a guitar interface. I'd rather have keys and knobs. It looks like a prototype too, which doesn't really help.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.