Boss SY-300 (was "Boss new product teaser video")

Started by 64Guitars, April 11, 2015, 10:48:23 PM

Bluesberry

Looks very cool..............want one..........?!?!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

alfstone

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

I don`t want to bear bad news and be negative because it does sound great but this was already invented using a
1/4 inch guitar cable. ??? I have at least half these sounds in my HDpod.
I don`t like when they advertise the obvious either which is zero latency. It better be or i wouldn`t buy it.
Not to take away from it being a good product. It sounds fantastic but pretty expensive to me for just synth sounds.
I myself would just buy a Korg.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

AndyR

Quote from: Gnasty on April 15, 2015, 05:34:35 PMI don`t want to bear bad news and be negative because it does sound great but this was already invented using a
1/4 inch guitar cable. ??? I have at least half these sounds in my HDpod.
I don`t like when they advertise the obvious either which is zero latency. It better be or i wouldn`t buy it.
Not to take away from it being a good product. It sounds fantastic but pretty expensive to me for just synth sounds.
I myself would just buy a Korg.

Must admit, I was thinking the same thing last night. Does sound fabulous, if you like those sort of sounds... but my earlier POD (XTLive) and even my Vox Tonelab LE also have effects that produce the sounds I heard here. The POD is slightly more versatile than the Vox, but I've never investigated too far because these sounds don't grab me at all (I don't LOATHE them like I used to, but I really don't like them :D). Obviously the POD & vox don't contain the sequencer/arpeggiator thing, but I don't see me having a use for that.

My interest would be if the MIDI Out on the box contained note information - ie does it do pitch to midi conversion and pass it on. If it does, then you can use it to control strings, piano, drums, wotever... but the comments I've seen elsewhere, though hoping for that, all seem to think it doesn't offer this...

And the other thing, "polyphonic", eh? None of the demos I've watched illustrate what I would mean by this - ie can you play guitar chords without it going "beeleeurggh!" ... the guy in that video seemed careful to play single-notes? I suspect they mean something else by polyphonic...

However, that's all just me and what I play... I can see some folks on here doing AMAZING stuff with one of these. If I was going to be making these sounds in my music, I'd already have done it using the kit I already have. But I do suspect this unit would be easier and more versatile to use.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

alfstone

No Andy, unfortunately no guitar-to-MIDI for this unit.  :-\

And to be honest, listening to the demo sounds...well, not my cup of tea. A toy more than a tool, IMO.

As someone said: "80s arcade games sounds"  :(

I don't think I will buy it.

And this is the general opinion about the SY-300 on the "specialized" V-Guitar forum:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14460.0

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

AndyR

Hmmm, yeah, Alfstone...

Found the following in that thread

QuoteIt's a Minimoog for guitar.

That's what I thought last night :D

Crumbs, they're not pulling their punches on there are they!

Anyway, seems there might some vids I haven't seen yet (I'm at work and can't see/hear anything online)... that might show an ability to do more than single-note stuff.

My gut feeling is it's not going to sell to guys like me.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

64Guitars

Quote from: AndyR on April 16, 2015, 02:07:48 AMAnd the other thing, "polyphonic", eh? None of the demos I've watched illustrate what I would mean by this - ie can you play guitar chords without it going "beeleeurggh!" ... the guy in that video seemed careful to play single-notes? I suspect they mean something else by polyphonic...

He plays some chords in this one, starting at around 2:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMSJOnkUQXA

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

AndyR

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 16, 2015, 11:10:31 AM
Quote from: AndyR on April 16, 2015, 02:07:48 AMAnd the other thing, "polyphonic", eh? None of the demos I've watched illustrate what I would mean by this - ie can you play guitar chords without it going "beeleeurggh!" ... the guy in that video seemed careful to play single-notes? I suspect they mean something else by polyphonic...

He plays some chords in this one, starting at around 2:00.

Ha! Ha! I was just posting the very same thing when it came up with "Warning - while you were typing"!! :)

That is the most encouraging vid I've seen so far.

I watched that section about 3 times - I'm fairly certain he's playing chords and we're hearing what he's playing. In other places I've felt it's hard work figuring out what is coming out of the box and what's backing track (or indeed whether the box contributed to the backing track recording).

Also, the section before - with the heavy riffing - no way would the "synth" patches on my POD XTLive track those that accurately.

I'm still not sure what it would do for me personally... I mean, I'm interested enough that if someone gave me one now I'd be all over it for a while. But even at half the price I'm not sure at the moment it's something I'd feel was worth it to me - I tend to write songs and then look for the instruments I can hear in my head... I don't think I've ever written a song based on a groovy sound my kit was making... (other than vintage breaking up scrunchy rock guitar). I've never really been a big fan of guitar effects - a boost and a wah is about all I've ever used in anger. I don't think I've ever used say delay or chorus to write with - they'd get added later if they do get used, part of "production" afterwards.

I'd have to play one to really tell, if it actually behaves and feels like an "instrument" in its own right (does that even make sense?! - I mean rather than a guitar trying to impersonate something else), and I was able to play it expressively, then that might be quite cool.

I've been thinking midi-fying one of my guitars for ages (for doing ensemble stuff like horn or string sections, and I also suspect I could write drum parts a lot more effectively on a guitar!! :D) - but I don't think this thing is a candidate for that if it's not passing out note data. (Or has it got the general MIDI instruments on board??! I've only heard 80s synth sounds so far...)

But, definitely, I can see some folks making BIG stuff with this.

And I wanna hear someone plug a mic in and start singing through it! :D

And Hook!!! Uke-synth?! :) :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb