Nobody Loves You - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, April 08, 2015, 05:54:38 PM

A K

Great feel.
And those stretching vocals just add to the emotion.

I remember Joe Cocker stretching like this, but he would have a few drinks before/after to smooth the throat.
I will have one on your behalf !

AndyR

Thanks folks :)

Quote from: chapperz66 on April 09, 2015, 02:38:13 AMLittle things like the single slap back echo on the second "nobody needs you" on the first and second verse, but not on the third, is inspired.  I've just listened a fourth time just to be certain that I didn't imagine it (tell me this was deliberate - even if it wasn't  ;) )

I can put your mind at rest, it was deliberate! :D

The delay was set up for the "But I do" overdub right at the end that I couldn't get sounding right and thought might benefit in some way (it hasn't!). And while it was dialed in I thought "I wonder?" and tried it on the "nobody needs you".

I originally tried it on 1 and 3, I felt all three would be too obvious. But then I found it REALLY worked on "nobody hears you" on 2... so 1 and 2 it was.

Btw - I uploaded a remastered version to alonetone yesterday lunch time, has a clearer vocal. It was uploaded sometime between Geir and Jarle's comments, I think.

And, just now, I uploaded the naked acoustic demo version (uses the same vocal and resonator part) to alonetone. So I've linked to it in the following topic if you want to hear it https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=23072.0
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Hook on April 09, 2015, 04:24:06 AMReally outstanding tune brother & the performance is really powerful.
Quote from: chapperz66 on April 09, 2015, 02:38:13 AMYou don't skimp on the instrumentation yet it never feels cluttered and every part has its place - in the song, in the performance and in the production.

What he said!
Rock On!

What Hook said that Paul said! This is great Andy...I'm also with Bruno...so glad you didn't hit the delete button and decided to finished it out...well worth the effort!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Flash Harry

Definitely worth it. I love the feel of this, I don't like making comparisons, but this feels like some really good old soul, Wilson Picket springs to mind, the instrumentation is different, but Bar at the end of the Street has a very similar feel.
The bass line is just what it should be, very fitting, the vocal is fabulous but the thing I really like is the organ and the resonator, so understated and perfectly done.
Wonderful stuff Andy, I really adore this song.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

^ Aha! That makes me feel good :)

I wasn't thinking Wilson Pickett... but I was thinking/imagining Donald "Duck" Dunn.

I had this image of the young version of Dunn in my head - not the beard and pipe version! (I've seen a live show of Otis Redding in Europe with the MGs backing him, it was a review with Sam & Dave on bill too. Everyone was FAB - but I was transfixed by what Dunn and Cropper were doing. (I'm not sure this is it, it might be, but it's the same tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TziA7K4nAj0 - you can definitely see where Ackroyd & Belushi got their moves from when Sam & Dave come on!)

Anyway, I don't know what it is yet, but I've definitely learnt something new in the bass department from doing this one.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

The bass can be an enigmatic instrument, definitely part of the rhythm section, adding solidity and grounding the key of the piece, but it can change the key, the rhythmic feel with just some subtle changes.

I like playing the bass most of all. I like what you've done on this track.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

chapperz66

Just listened to this again and decided it needs to be back up near the top.

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination