Are You Done? - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, March 23, 2015, 04:09:43 PM

Blooby

This is bloody fantastic. Has your voice recovered? Should I send flowers?

Blooby

Blooby

Listening again and just blown away. great production and the last part of that slide solo is killer.

Blooby

Redler

Wow! Top class guitar playing and your voice is just perfect on this kind of Rockn' roll! Brilliant!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jarle

This is really good. I love the solo.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Tangled Wires

Yet another belter and whilst I love everything here, I have to single out the vocal which is just beyond good and loving that rasp and attitude in the delivery...did you smoke a load of fags before recording this???  ???

Picked up one them wonderful harmonies on the second listen, and I do like the occasional placing of the "ooo's" and "ahh's", they give a the song a wonderful lift whether backing the lead vocal or lead guitar.

Bounces along beautifully, and the new guitar sounds very happy in your capable hands!

Nice one!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

This makes me want to buy a LP. I have never wanted an LP. Ever. Not even Slash made me want to have a Les Paul.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

Cheers folks :)

Panic not about the throat - this sort of stuff comes real easy to me, especially as I've got older, and it's not sung that loud really. I did guides for the Billy part (low, slightly left) then sang the Dusty part (high, slightly right). The Dusty part took just enough out of the throat to add "more authenticity" to the Billy part when I redid it.

I've been impersonating these guys in private for years - I just don't tend to record it very often!

I love how the Gibbons and Hill vocals interact, especially on their earlier stuff. I can do both voices, but I always thought it would be really difficult to recreate the interaction, being just one guy on his own - but it was surprisingly easy, in fact it probably helped in the writing of the lyrics. I just thought "duet" - Billy starts with a few choice statements then Dusty kicks in belting out something that adds to the picture, then they meet up towards the end of a verse.

I was going all out for ZZ Top, I could probably have made it sound even closer, most of their earlier recordings have strats and teles all over them, as well as Pearly Gates the Les Paul, to create different textures (eg. the famous La Grange riff is actually a strat - I have a strat that makes that very sound). If I'd used different guitars for different parts it probably would have sounded less "thick" and possibly even better... but I was digging Lucy the Les Paul too much :D

Flash Harry - yeah, Slash would never have got me wanting a Les Paul!

I originally wanted one because of Jimmy Page - but the studio sounds I was associating with that fantastic look were made with a telecaster! Then it was Paul Kossoff and Billy Gibbons... and Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy. I've owned various copies over the years, but this is the first real one I've owned. It actually feels more strat-like in sound when you're playing it, but it has that Les Paul "chunk" that lovers of Les Pauls seem to like so much.

Mine's loaded with quite low-power pickups now, and the amp model I was using hasn't got a load of gain. These are quite "sweet" sounding pickups, but I found setting the amp for quite "hairy" and then using pick attack to vary the vibes gets from mellow to snarly in the same performance (it's actually exactly the same settings as I used on Dancing Girl, I just hit the guitar differently).

It does kinda have that "hey THAT'S what a Les Paul sounds like" vibe, doesn't it? And playing it, I don't really feel like I can go wrong once I'm on the right fret! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Gnasty

Almost missed this! Love this song! Very full recording. The Les Paul sure has fatness and well the vocals are just top notch professional!
You are sure multi-talented Andy. I always love and enjoy your tunes.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Groundy

Ok this time, must need a new Laptop....
Well worth the wait Andy,
This is Tremendous.......
Take a Bow..........

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Bluesberry

OnThisDay Bump....This is what I like right here...fantastic bit of Texas roadhouse blues swagger ..... Fantastic

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand