BR 800 Rhythm Editor: Is a Step Equal to a Pattern?

Started by Wilbury, March 10, 2015, 03:05:39 PM

Wilbury

Hi folks!

Here is a question about the Rhythm Editor. Say, a have a one-measure-long  drum pattern that I want to use over a number of measures. How do I proceed? Do I have to make as many steps in the arrangement as I want it to last or is there a way to tell the editor that Step No such and such, based upon my one-measure pattern, has to repeat this pattern over a certain number of measures?

In other words, does the length of a step in an arrangement coincide with the length of a pattern it is based on or can it be longer than that?

Thanks!

64Guitars

The length of a step is determined by the starting measure of the following step. For example, if step 6 starts at measure 48 and step 7 starts at measure 60, then the pattern in step 6 will repeat until 12 measures are completed (the difference between the starting measures).

In the same way, long patterns can be cut short. For example, if the pattern in step 15 is four measures long starting at measure 112 and step 16 starts at measure 114, then the pattern at step 15 will only play for two measures instead of the full four measures.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Wilbury

Oh, thanks! But how do I make a pattern start from a particular measure in the arrangement? i mean, when I drag a pattern onto the arrangement, it invariably "sticks" to the end of the last existing step.

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 10, 2015, 03:32:37 PMThe length of a step is determined by the starting measure of the following step. For example, if step 6 starts at measure 48 and step 7 starts at measure 60, then the pattern in step 6 will repeat until 12 measures are completed (the difference between the starting measures).

In the same way, long patterns can be cut short. For example, if the pattern in step 15 is four measures long starting at measure 112 and step 16 starts at measure 114, then the pattern at step 15 will only play for two measures instead of the full four measures.

64Guitars

Quote from: Wilbury on March 10, 2015, 03:48:11 PMOh, thanks! But how do I make a pattern start from a particular measure in the arrangement? i mean, when I drag a pattern onto the arrangement, it invariably "sticks" to the end of the last existing step.

Move the mouse pointer over the right edge of a step and it will change to the resize pointer which looks like this:

Now click and drag right or left to resize the step.

Note that the length of the final step in an arrangement cannot be changed, so your arrangement must have at least 2 steps. The last step of an arrangement will also repeat until you press the STOP button. You would normally set the last step to pattern P327:BREAK which makes no sound. That way, the arrangement will effectively end after the 2nd-last step is played.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Wilbury

Fantastic! In fact, I tried this, but did not know the step being extended must not be the last one! Million thanks!

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 10, 2015, 04:03:09 PM
Quote from: Wilbury on March 10, 2015, 03:48:11 PMOh, thanks! But how do I make a pattern start from a particular measure in the arrangement? i mean, when I drag a pattern onto the arrangement, it invariably "sticks" to the end of the last existing step.

Move the mouse pointer over the right edge of a step and it will change to the resize pointer which looks like this:

Now click and drag right or left to resize the step.

Note that the length of the final step in an arrangement cannot be changed, so your arrangement must have at least 2 steps. The last step of an arrangement will also repeat until you press the STOP button. You would normally set the last step to pattern P327:BREAK which makes no sound. That way, the arrangement will effectively end after the 2nd-last step is played.