Dancing Girl - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, March 08, 2015, 04:30:24 PM

AndyR

Here's the new one - hot off the marvellous mechanical mouse engine...

I wrote it on 5th February and managed to record it in less than a month (a head-cold and lack of hearing in one ear slowed the last lap somewhat).

But seeing as the last one took over 8 months, I think I'm already ahead for 2015!

All the guitars are my new Les Paul (with its new pickups) through a Laney Cub, mic'd up with an SM57. It's also the first outing for my new(ish) (fretted) Jazz bass. Both were an absolute joy to use. I couldn't believe how versatile the guitar is.

Had a real hoot recording this... until I got to the vocals and found I couldn't sing it! :D

Dancing Girl
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------

If all the world
Adores the dancing girl
We'll have to wait until she's done

We'll catch our breath
When she leaves to get undressed
We'll just imagine where she's gone

Ring the bell
Throw pearls in her wishing well
The pirouetting rose-scented dancing girl

In her dreams
You melt it seems
But you don't ever get to touch the dancing girl

The pick-me-up
That brings you down again
Those pretty pearls I know you spend

She thinks you're nice
She thinks you're very nice
Another poppy in her field

You must know
The pearls you cast are wasted so
On the pirouetting rose-scented dancing girl

In her dreams
Though you melt it seems
You don't ever get to touch the dancing girl
You never ever get to touch the dancing girl
Your pirouetting rose-scented dancing girl

Copyright (C) 2015 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

Ah superb - I love the change from guitar and vox to the full ensemble, complex and beautifully layered. Well worth spending the time on Andy, despite the cold and the deafness.

I always get a sense of anticipation and glee when I spot a new song post of yours, I know I'm in for a treat. This is no exception, full and rich and superbly written, recorded and produced.

Sounds like you've had that Jazz in your hands for a lifetime.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

downloaded to my piepod for repeat listening. fabulous andy from the first note to the last and all the others inbetween.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Quote from: Flash Harry on March 08, 2015, 04:47:41 PMI always get a sense of anticipation and glee when I spot a new song post of yours.

I with you 100%.

Wonderful song with your standard amazing production.  Things that jumped out were the little bass run before the chorus. Love that. I think I could put that on loop. You knocked this one out of the park in all aspects, but your vocals are just stellar.  Sounds like you've been listening to some Bowie.

I always grab my Tele or Strat for rhythms like this, but that Les Paul fit perfectly. Does this mean I have to go get a Les Paul now?

Blooby

AndyR

Thanks guys - I feel loads better now. I wasn't too sure about this one - I've had trouble hearing the last few days because of this cold...

Quote from: Blooby on March 08, 2015, 05:06:45 PM...Things that jumped out were the little bass run before the chorus. Love that. I think I could put that on loop.

...Sounds like you've been listening to some Bowie.

...I always grab my Tele or Strat for rhythms like this, but that Les Paul fit perfectly. Does this mean I have to go get a Les Paul now?

I nearly cut that bass run! I loved it, but it wasn't half getting in the way a couple of weeks ago.

OF COURSE!! Mr Bowie - now if only I'd thought of that, I'd have been a lot more comfortable when trying to do the vocal and then mixing it. I haven't listened to him recently, but his early 70s stuff is deep-rooted in my musical subconscious. It would have been so much easier if that's what I'd been aiming at!

I was writing a Bee Gees song (think Vince Melhouney's guitar on things like New York Mining Disaster). That's why I picked the Les Paul to play it. Then when the arrangement was coming together it started sounding like The Police... which I didn't fancy too much.

Yes, you have to get a Les Paul, and some Stormy Monday pickups from Bare Knuckles Pickups - low output humbuckers with AII magnets. It's not showing here, but all the sounds on The Allmans at the Fillmore East are at your finger-tips, all controlled by the guitar volume. ALL the guitars on this were played through the same amp settings, no pedals, just using the volumes/tones and pickup selector on the guitar.

It does the 60s jangle-thing beautifully... and then it gets snarly, but in a sweet way, when you dig in.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Nelson

My Oh My
There's power in that performance.
Excellent vocals/harmonies and the music is mind blowing... leaving me G W E. (Green with envy)

Andy ~ U Rock

recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Groundy

Andy, This is just Stunning...
so well performed, and so well recorded.
on my 3rd listen.
Great stuff...

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

thetworegs

Superb as always Mr A I feel I should call you Mr after hearing such a superbly produced track ...thank you for giving my ears a treat Mr A

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Greeny

Outstanding song-writing, performance and attention to detail. I love everything about it - from the massed Queen harmonies, to the gorgeous bass runs and the to-die-for Les Paul rhythm tones (reminded me a bit of Tommy-era Pete Townsend tonally).

Like a songcrafting masterclass!

Beautiful work.

chapperz66

Absolutely splendid.  Really enjoyed listening to it, and will listen again.

Paul