? about importing video

Started by Hook, February 13, 2015, 04:11:41 AM

Hook

So I got the Tascam DR-v1HD and I really like it. I did 2 videos yesterday & was very impressed with the audio. I was listening with my headphones & it sounded just as good if not better than my 008. I hooked it up through USB and easily found the files and copied them onto my desk top. The picture is great but I have no audio???? not in windows movie make or my media player. Where's the sound??? I did quickly consult the manual but saw nothing about the audio being a separate file & I was pretty tired so I gave up and went to bed. I'm going to try to figure it out tonight but would love to know if anyone has run into this or a similar situation before.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hilary

I think it's something to do with Moviemaker not recognising the file extensions - I had similar problems with the Zoom. You may need to convert the file first.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

AndyR

I got this on my Zoom - it was because I recorded with an audio format not supported by the Windows programs (I picked the highest - PCM 96/24). I suppose you could convert it, but I set the Zoom to record PCM 44.1/16 same as CDs, no problem after that. (I didn't bother looking into what audio formats the Windows programs support!)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Hook

Thanks Hilary & Andy, I'm still not entirely sure why it wouldn't work. I had a free trial of "wonder share video editor" ( on phone now can't post link but I put it in the poison video) and it worked just fine. It has the picture in picture thing I think and a bunch of effects. It's similar to windows movie maker, which is good for me since I know that. It was $40 ( basically to remove their watermark) but the only other option I seem to have is Adobe for a monthly fee and a steep learning curve, maybe?
Anyhow this one reads the file right off my card so that's enough for know.
Thanks again,
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

AndyR

Yeah, I seem to remember the wonder share program worked ok - but it's on my old pc and, anyway, I'm a tight-wad! :D I never bothered buying a license...

I've only just started experimenting again with the zoom thingie. Definitely highest quality audio is "too much" for the windows progs (this is on 8.2). I'm quite happy with 44.1/16bit, that works ok.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Hook

I checked and I did have it set on 44.1 but I was using 24 bit, perhaps that's it. Regardless I want to be able to make those multi-screen videos & I appear to be able to with the wondershare, hope to mess around with it next week.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

AndyR

:)

I didn't look into to it too much (I was in a rush just experimenting), but it sounds like you've identified the "issue" - the window progs don't support 24bit? :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

cuthbert

Hey Mr. Hook - I think your version of Windows Media Player may not support 24 bit audio, so try changing the audio bit resolution on the Tascam DR-V1HD from 24 bit to 16 bit before your next recording - hopefully that works for your new clips in Windows Movie Maker as well as WMP without any further work.

Otherwise, you could try one or more of these which may work with your existing 24 bit audio clips:

But probably best to first check to see if 16 bit audio from the camera works in WMM and WMP before trying either of these slightly gnarly potential solutions. :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase