advice on singing AND playing... at the same time.

Started by Tony W, April 02, 2009, 10:42:33 AM

Tony W

Quote from: Dmann on April 06, 2009, 05:43:29 PMyour voice and guitar are 2 completely seperate instruments.

Once I came to grips with that, I found it easier for me to make sure I had the guitar riffs down 100% prior to trying to sing along.

hopefully this helps.

Dmann.
And that my friend is exactly what I've been having a difficult time with. I suppose I should spend time singing songs when not playing in order to get them down. I've found that while my girlfriend has a terrific ear for music, I am not so blessed. I have only tried singing WHILE playing, and I'm very conscious of how bad I sound. If I don't put in the time training my voice, that will never change.

I'm going to force myself to be the "idiot" in the other car that everyone looks at and laughs at while driving down the road. I guess they will only see me once in their life right? I'll just drive and belt out lyrics.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Davo

Practice helps alot, if you know the song well enough that one part (singing or playing) is second nature.
 Its MUCH easier to play rhythm than lead while singing.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Guitar-Maniac

haha you are not alone impudent, i can't even speak while playing the guitar!
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D

Tony W

Hey, somebody dug deep to find this one to move over! I'm ashamed to admit, I still only sing in the car. I have not practiced a cover song in ages. I got a bit side tracked with the wonderful world of blues!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Wiley

:)  Well when you did the 12 days of Christmas you sounded fine!!  You whould work your voice more.  You also do an out standing schwartnegger imitaion!! :)  Remember?
PJ

Tony W

I have no idea what you're talking about PJ......  ;)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Glenn Mitchell

Yes practice is it essentially.
Once you have both the instrument and vocals in a song really "down" you can mentally switch your attention back and forth as you play and as needed.
It's fun to practice keeping tempo with the instrument while slightly slowing and speeding up the vocal timing to give expression.
I ran into this years ago doing Beatles stuff. Try singing while doing the the riffs to "I Feel Fine." Once the riffs are second nature it almost feels as if someone else is playing that part and you can focus on the singing.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Satchwood

Speaking of 12 days of Christmas......   Hey TonyW - I think you should cover the song Bohemian Rhapsody opera style LOL!

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Tony W

LOL Satch! believe me I do when I'm in the privacy of my own element! That was a fun night!

Glenn, Thanks for the tips!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

practice, practice, practice..... and when you've finished, practice. Never forget, when The Beatles were doing Hamburg and no one had ever heard of them, they played 12 hours+ a day for about 6 months... you're gonna get pretty good after that. And that was just the start...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR