Won't back down/stay with me What do you think?

Started by kenny mac, February 04, 2015, 05:20:50 AM

Gnasty

Here`s another one by accident and you can also put in Black Submarine by The Black Keys in this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=008jskwOtkg
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

chip

I was thinkin about this last night. Andy seems on the right track. The publishers/suits did it? One thing that bothers me.
Why did it take so long for them to do anything about it? Was it " Lets wait to see if it sell 10 million copies then we'll ave em" I mean they must have heard it before, or maybe not. Everyone I have spoken to amongst my enlightened musical pals, have never heard of Sam Smith. Neither had I till I saw this topic on here.

I like Petty, he seems like a decent sort and is a terrific songwriter and performer, maybe he didn't know who Sam Smith was either until the suits dropped by.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

bruno

Everyone has borrowed from everyone, forever. Dvorak New World Symphony is a collection of local melodies from America. Is it right! I guess its a question of degree. Hell, I've even ripped myself off without knowing. There is only so many chords, and so many notes. All combination of notes and chords simply don't work together, its just certain phrases sound better than others. It is possible for two people to come up with the same idea, completely independently - although most artists admit to borrows. I would be peeved if I felt someone had simply stolen my idea, but almost impossible to prove.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Lurker

Did Aaron Copeland have to pay Joseph Brackett for the use of "Simple Gifts" in "Appalachian Spring"?  Should my daughter send a check to Mozart's heirs when she sings the ABC song or "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"?  George Harrison had to pay dearly for "My Sweet Lord".  It's the lawyers who get most of the money anyway.

Intellectual property rights for original ideas is fine, but it seems that we're all copying something.  Even lyrics are hard to make truly original.  We share an aesthetic that places boundaries on what we find acceptable and pleasing.  "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."  <-- That wasn't even original.  Everything that we do is derivative.  Even our facial expressions and gestures are learned.  The only originality left seems to be new juxtapositions of the familiar themes.  Even that is becoming rare.

Of course, you've heard all of this before.

Flash Harry

Andy, that is the most sensible and considered thing I have read on this topic.

Thank you.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.