Auto Mastering?

Started by Blooby, January 26, 2015, 05:21:33 PM

Ferryman

Thanks for posting the comparison, I can definitely tell the difference. Yours is pretty good but the LANDR version is more cohesive overall and fits together better with more detail coming through. Like you say, I'm all for making things easy. I enjoy mastering but the problem is I don't have enough time to really get to grips with something like Ozone (although it will be fun trying) and as I tend to record one or two songs per year, I find I get inconsistent results. This isn't a problem for "one off" songs but if I was putting an album together something like LANDR would give pretty reasonable results with that added value of consistency.

Loved the song btw!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Balleo

I knew Landr because a friend of mine  a sound engineer complained on Facebook about how good the mastering them. it is clear that the mixing has to be perfect.
I'm so excited to Landr that i asked to put it a link in Utilities of Songcrafters  ;D

recorder
iPad GarageBand
recorder
 Reaper
recorder
Audacity
My Youtube Facebook

fenderbender

Happy Birthday test 1
Time:
0:00
Volume:
As recommended by Farrell & Alf -I had a go at LandR-
Here are three versions of the tune -Happy Birthday ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
1 st version -as is on the BR600 -not mixed or bounced-just balanced and converted to Mp3
2nd bounced and mastered on the BR80
3rd sent to LandR and mastered
BIG difference all right -
Tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: fenderbender on January 30, 2015, 08:47:49 AMAs recommended by Farrell & Alf -I had a go at LandR-
Here are three versions of the tune -Happy Birthday ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
1 st version -as is on the BR600 -not mixed or bounced-just balanced and converted to Mp3
2nd bounced and mastered on the BR80
3rd sent to LandR and mastered
BIG difference all right -
Tommy

That's a great comparison Tommy, thanks! The LANDR  is louder, fuller and brings more of the individual instruments forward in the mix. For example the picking rhythm guitar didn't stand out to me in the first two samples. Then I heard it in the LANDR master so I went back to hear how it sounded in the previous versions. It was there but for some reason I didn't notice it.

Thanks for the test!

BTW, for any considering signing up for LANDR's free unlimited mp3 service, I just got notice that as of February 16th, 2015 they will no longer offer it for free. They will be charging a minimal fee to all current members of $9 per year for the unlimited mp3 mastering but any sign ups after Feb. 16th, 2015 will $49 per year. Here's what they said:

" GET UNLIMITED MP3s for just $9/year
(that's less than $1/month).Keep in mind that starting February 16th, 2015, the same service will cost new users $49/year.
And what happens if you don't sign up for this offer?
Not to worry. We still believe in the power of free. Included with your current plan, you will get 2 free MP3s a month and the option to buy additional masters at $1.99 per MP3. "
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

fenderbender

Hi Farrell
sure makes a difference alright
I got the pm as well-I reckon it's well worth $9-(it cost me 8 euro) it's for nothing really
Gonna make the best of it  ;D ;D ;D

Tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Ferryman

Darn! I just spent £150 on Ozone 6 and should have just signed up for LANDR!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

Fenderbender, thanks so much for the effort. Impressive results.

Blooby

Mike_S

Blimey, just checked out this LANDR thing, first of all first thought is wow, how the hell can they invent this, and second thought is well, they are able to automate so many things in the world now so maybe not so surprising. I gave it a try and i think it did a good job on one of my tracks, so i am gonna explore it further, especially at €9 a year. I have been doing my best myself like most of us for many years with mixed results. Thanks for the good thread guys.
recorder
iPad GarageBand

chip

I tried one of my less than good mixes, It made it louder but not much else. In regards to the comparison test. I can tell the difference on the non mastered first track, but I didn't here much difference on the other two. I did like the guitar playing with vibrato, I dig that. So, I'm on the fence.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

T.C. Elliott

when comparing tracks make sure they are playing back at the same volume. Usually louder sounds better unless it's already too loud. (whatever that is.)  This is true in mixing as well.  So, if you master something (yourself or otherwise) turn down the master track to the same level as the pre mastered track to see if the actual sound is better or it's just volume.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London