Auto Mastering?

Started by Blooby, January 26, 2015, 05:21:33 PM

bruno

The mastered version sounds way more punchy to me. Sounds great.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Balleo

I am a landr fan. I poster a lot of song mastering by Landr.
Not always is said that it is better to do alone

recorder
iPad GarageBand
recorder
 Reaper
recorder
Audacity
My Youtube Facebook

fenderbender

Well to my old ears
I think the original recording has that punch and sparkle to it
that is a sxxxittt hot recording Farrell
Think maybe I should try out a test myself

Tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: fenderbender on January 27, 2015, 05:57:56 PMWell to my old ears
I think the original recording has that punch and sparkle to it
that is a sxxxittt hot recording Farrell
Think maybe I should try out a test myself

Tommy

Thanks Tommy! If you do a test make sure to leave a lot of headroom (-3.5db to -6db) for the MP3 sample and with minimal compression applied. Also use the best sample rate of 320kbps. Even though the LANDR master will only be at 192kbps the better going in, the better coming out. I would like to hear your comparison results also.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Gnasty

Second version has sparkle and shine.

My thoughts on mastering are, if i recorded a lot of tracks and mixed it all myself, I probably should learn and do the final stage.

On the other hand if i keep making crappy masters i will definitely try and use this.  :)

Farrell, that song is outstanding! It`s like a lost April Wine song. That`s what your style reminds me of here.
A great Canadian band that i`ve seen more times than any other. Check em out!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Groundy

I prefer to master myself.....Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

alfstone

Anyway, my opinion about LANDR: you may have rather good results, and it's perfect if you are not interested in mastering, or you feel that mastering is not your cup of tea, or you don't know where to begin,

BUT

by my point of view I have lot more fun trying and experimenting various solutions until I feel I've found the *right* sound for each particular song.

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

chip

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 27, 2015, 02:25:34 PMI'm with Greeny. I want control over my recordings. That's why I bought a BR. It lets me do everything myself. Whether or not someone else can do it better doesn't really matter to me. I'd just rather do it myself. I mean, how can I take pride in my work if I let someone else do it for me?

Also, I like a big dynamic range and mastering usually squashes the dynamics in order to make the average level higher. So I almost never apply mastering effects to my finished recordings. Instead, I try to make each track sound as good as possible, then mix them to get the right balance between tracks. When I'm happy with the mix, that's it. The recording is finished. If I think the EQ or dynamics are not what they should be, I'm more likely to go back and apply EQ or compression to certain individual tracks and remix than I am to apply mastering effects to the finished mix.

I'm pretty much with 64. I like doing things myself, the BR recorders give me that. I just finished a song which took some weeks to mix, I had to go back and change things quite a few times, I learned a great deal in the process. It turned out good but not perfect, I don't want perfection though. I am going to start another topic about something I am battling with.
So, no. I am not interested in auto mastering or pretty much auto anything.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Farrell Jackson

I really like all the discussion and opinions that have been presented here. Thanks Alfredo and Blooby for bringing this topic forward!

I view LANDR or any other auto mastering software as just another tool in the tool box for us home recordist. I also enjoy mastering myself but I like the idea of using auto mastering as a comparison and learning tool for my aging ears. I find that sometimes I get too close to the song after having listened to and tweaked it 100 times in the recording and mixing process. It gets to the point where I don't want to hear the song any more. I also tend to loose my objectiveness and/or my ears get tired to the point of not picking up the details even a day or two later.  I've used different mastering houses and individuals for my 4 cds, some expensive and some not but I like the results of a fresh set of ears doing the mastering. It seems they hear things the song needs more than I do because I've already pre-determined what it should sound like or my ears and brain aren't letting me hear it precisely.

As I mentioned, I've put about 25 mp3 songs into LANDR for mastering and I like the results of the majority but there were some that didn't benefit at all from their process. It was the ones that I had applied more compression too. When putting together a group of songs for a cd, it's good to have them all sounding consistent in all aspects such as in volume, eq, compression. But there's still the process of setting song order and times between the songs to deal with but that's fairly easy.

I must be getting old because I tend to like things simple these days. Mastering with LANDR is about as simple as it gets and the results are decent plus it's free or at a minimal cost for the better wav quality. I'll definitely continue to use it's free mp3 service and most likely opt for the payed service when I get enough songs for a cd's worth.

A great discussion so far!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Gnasty on January 27, 2015, 08:57:35 PMFarrell, that song is outstanding! It`s like a lost April Wine song. That`s what your style reminds me of here.
A great Canadian band that i`ve seen more times than any other. Check em out!

Thanks Gnasty! I have one April Wine album, Harder...Faster, that must have influenced me more that I knew, lol. I dig the song I Like To Rock. Actually the whole album is good but I haven't listened to it in years. I've had this mentioned to me before. The guy that mastered my Wood, Wires and Wonder cd last year made the same comparison on my song Green Light. As far as I know April Wine is still going strong after all these years so if they come around I'll go see them for sure.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert