I bought a Kabosy! How the hell do I play it?

Started by Ted, January 17, 2015, 01:11:04 PM

Ted

Today I bought a kabosy in Antananarivo, Madagascar, as well as a cheap Malagasy guitar.

The kabosy is an interesting instrument. The tuning and fretting is very strange to me. With the "standard" tuning, there are some chords that are simply unavailable because the fret needed is missing. An E maj, for example; there is only one G# note on the neck, and it's not in the most convenient place.

Here I am at home with all of the instruments I now have at home in Madagascar.

The kabosy cost about $13 US, and the guitar cost $23 US. I can't wait to hear how it sounds with whatever cheap pickup it has installed.

I also have my MBR, and my Korg NanoPAD2, if those count as instruments.

Here's some Kabosy music.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

looking forward to hearing what you do with em.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

I love oddball instruments, and that kabosy looks super-cool to me (mmm, those partial frets!).

Regarding its limitations, I consider those to be good things most times. If you can't manage a full E major, can you manage a partial chord like an E-B or an E-F# dyad instead? (my terminology may not be completely accurate, but you get the idea).
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ted

Quote from: cuthbert on January 17, 2015, 01:22:56 PMRegarding its limitations, I consider those to be good things most times. If you can't manage a full E major, can you manage a partial chord like an E-B...

Right on both counts. The Kabosy may bring out some musical ideas that wouldn't occur to me on a guitar, or a fully-chromatic instrument.

Interestingly, this is not a strictly diatonic instrument either. There are a couple little chromatic spots on the higher strings. It will be interesting to figure out what the logic is to that.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Geir

Cool cool cool!!

An instrument for happy music I'd suspect.... Open tuning? Looks like the fretting is following a major scale except for the higher strings as you say. Very cool. Please post some music soon.

Interesting t-shirt too Ted  ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

bruno

Cool set of instruments you have there Ted, I particularly like the fretless 5 string bass (????), never heard of a Kabosy, defo can make some world music with that - looks very interesting.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Ted

Quote from: Geir on January 18, 2015, 01:28:04 AMOpen tuning? Looks like the fretting is following a major scale except for the higher strings as you say. Very cool. Please post some music soon.

Exactly right. I've tuned it to an open G, according to these instructions.

The two lower strings are both G, and indeed follow a major scale up to the octave fret. After that, it gets a little weird. (I'd say the 12th fret, but there is a full-step gap between the 5th and 6th fret that makes the octave occur at the 11th fret.)

I did figure out how to do an 11-note chromatic scale, which (in theory) should mean that every major and minor triad is available to me -- possibly in some kind of tortured fingering.

As for the shirt...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

I love this!

I just noticed that the bridge is a pencil!

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Hook

I am so very jealous, cant wait to hear it!!!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Blooby

How very cool. Thanks for the pictures and interesting thread.  Look forward to listening as well.

Blooby