Song for Facemask - Down on my Luck

Started by A K, January 03, 2015, 02:35:50 PM

A K

Down on my Luck - instrumental only
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I have a big favour to ask.
This is the song that Robbie never got to record.

As a tribute to Robbie, I was wondering if members could provide vocals (the more the merrier).
There are vocal sections and an outro.
It would be good if contributors to vocal sections could sing (merged together) on the outro, to form a grand finale.

I have attached the lyrics, and on the second page (for guidance) how the lyrics are phrased with the original guitar music that I gave Robbie.
In some places the lyrics commence prior to the chord changes, and in other places the lyrics commence a beat after the change.
Verse 5 has the possibility of a 2 part harmony.
As a kind hint, the Bridge sections require husky voices.  :)

I am new to this collaboration process, so please feel free to assist.

I would like to have your tribute song played at Robbie's funeral, so we have just over a week to complete it.

Many thanks.
Kelvin (aka A.K.)

Groundy

A good Idea Kelvin, such a nice song and wonderful lyrics........Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

T.C. Elliott

I think this is a great idea for a tribute from this community.

Would it be possible to have a version with a vocal guide track that we could sing along to? I just sang what I thought would work really well with the bridge 1 and 2 but I have no idea if I'm hitting the correct melody. (or if there IS a correct melody.)  Are you wanting different people to take different parts and then everyone to sing the outro?

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

A K

How the song is partitioned is heavily dependent on the number of response that I receive.

My original hope was that everyone would feature in several lines, plus the outro.

If people can sing the entire song, and I will mix the song to highlight each singer separately throughout the song, as well as blend their voices together for harmonies and the outro.

The best guide I have to date is page 2 of the Lyric attachment. It is the original song write-up I gave to Robbie, where the chords are positioned relatively accurately over the words.

I will see what I can do about providing a guide vocal. Will keep you posted but it may take a day or so to find/record a singer.

Many thanks.
Kelvin

Hilary

Everyone could record the vox for whole song and Kelvin could pick the bits out he wants and put it together.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

T.C. Elliott

If you don't mind separate melody lines we can go with what we hear in our head. Which sounds like you figured would work.  Really the question is this: Is the melody I come up with okay? If so then I'll give it a go asap.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Hilary

Down on my luck vocal guide
Time:
Volume:
I've had a go at doing a guide track on the piano - thought it would be less intrusive than vocals. I appreciate it might not work as I'm female (no way!) but thought it worth a try!

Kept the melody and phrasing very simple to make it easier to synch. The vocal guide starts at around 0:33 and I've included both parts in Verse 5.

Let me know if it's acceptable or if you'd like any changes and I'll record my part.

Thanks very much for doing this Kelvin, it's a wonderful gesture for a wonderful man xx
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Jarle

I would love to hear you sing this Hilary.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Hilary

Quote from: Jarle on January 05, 2015, 12:14:12 PMI would love to hear you sing this Hilary.

I will do Jarle - it's meant to be a vocal guide to help everyone else sing it (in synch) - it's not an instrumental!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

IanR

Down on my luck
Time:
Volume:
I have done a vocal using Kenny's version as a guide.

I have posted the mixed version here and my vocal as a separate file (in my next post).  It can be imported into a DAW and edited in there.

I know that Geir has also done a version and Hilary may be working on a vocal, so, depending on which version we use as the base version, I'm happy to do this again.

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One