Reference Tracks (Which Do You Use or Suggest?)

Started by T.C. Elliott, December 06, 2014, 08:16:16 PM

T.C. Elliott

So.... it is suggested that we use high quality reference tracks to compare our mixes to professional recordings. Ie, if you are mixing in a DAW, you import a WAV quality track that you think sounds good in the same or similar style that you are mixing to see if you are getting similar or comparable results.

My question is this: Which tracks do you use and/or suggest?

If you don't use reference tracks but have favorite good sounding recordings in a variety of styles please list them here if you would be so kind. I'm looking for a fresh look to use this technique a bit more. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to suggest great sounding mixes to reference.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

bruno

For me, Sting albums are a reference - but depends on the music. I really like the Brad Paisley recorded sounds for country- but basically always go for something that sounds good to you and use that..
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Bluesberry

I have used Wilco as reference and Arcade Fire also for some songs when I was trying to understand the sound a bit............. I agree Sting albums sound good.............to my ears the last Wilco album(The whole love) sounds damn near perfect, that is one I listen to for production values for sure.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hook

I've never really tried to use a reference track, might be why my stuff always sounds like crap.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Blooby

Just ran across this at Nashville mixing engineer Kevin Ward's Mixcoach site...

I had a question from a MixCoach Member wondering what he should be listening for in a reference mix. Here is his question:

What would be a list that you could give me to be mindful of when listening to other songs. I was watching a Dave Pensado video and he was interviewing someone (can't remember who) but he told them that he learns a lot from their mixes. What is it that he's listening for so he can learn something new and apply it?
Thanks,
Josh

The first thing I would listen to in a reference mix is "how does it translate to other places?" Does it sound good in a car?  On your stereo at home?  On your home entertainment center?  If you can find a mix that you are happy with on all of those places, you definitely have a contender.

The next thing I would listen for is, "Does it make your ears tire after listening for a while. Songs that you can't get enough of are usually not limited too much.  There is a fine line between "loud-enough-to-hang-in-the-ongoing-loudness-wars" and "that song is so distorted and it makes my ears tired"

One of the last things I look for in a song is kinda silly, but still relevant. How does the song make you feel?
I think the best response you can get from a listener is physical movement.

I was in the studio with a producer and we were tracking.  There was a short turnaround before the last chorus and the guitar lick that he had the guitar player play reminded me of a good old fashioned western movie.  Every time I heard the lick, I acted like I took off my pretend hat and said, "Yeeeeeee haaaaaaww."  I couldn't help it.  That experience has stayed with me because it was a tribute to the producer's arrangement of that song... It MADE me move.

I can't speak for Dave, but I know that mixes that I "learn from" are usually mixes that fit these criteria... especially the last one.

bruno

My brother always swears by dark side of the moon - it may be old, but its fantastically well recorded.

I would also add the Foo Fighters - always immaculately well recorded. Also Eric Clapton, fabulous acoustic recordings.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

T.C. Elliott

ACDC's Back In Black is a good one, too. I was listening to it the other day and thought it sounded good, then I saw it pop up on a couple of articles as having a good sound mix wise, too.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Geir

I've never used a reference song but I've thought about it often. Depending on what kind of music I was making I'd use either some Zeppelin (3 Or 4), some Zappa (maybe the one most has influenced my approach to mixing/mastering/producing my music) or Manfred Manns earth band. I hear on my latest music that I too have been caught up in the loudness war, so maybe it's time to dig out those old records before it's too late.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: Geir on December 07, 2014, 01:49:22 PMI hear on my latest music that I too have been caught up in the loudness war, so maybe it's time to dig out those old records before it's too late.

I have the Dynamic Range offline computer program that will analyze a track for it's... dynamic range (or lack thereof.) There is also a VST plug in for those of us who mix in a DAW.  Some of these good sounding tracks I want to use for reference are a bit more compressed than others. But that's all part of it, I think.

Here is a direct link to the vst. You will probably want to right click and save as or something.

http://www.dynamicrange.de/sites/default/files/DR-Meter%201_4a.zip
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

T.C. Elliott

I'm still going through and figuring out some reference tracks. I have a feeling this will be a slow process. I've already gotten a couple. It's really hard to stop listening to the song and start listening ONLY to the mix. Or rather, it's hard to remember the good mixes vs the good songs.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper