My first attempt at the blues

Started by jackofall, March 31, 2009, 09:01:42 AM

jackofall

can't play the banjo blues
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A few weeks ago, someone gave me this Kimbara steel string guitar! I've just put some new strings on it and it sounds pretty Okay to me. Aren't Kimbara's supposed to be good? Here's some blues that rapidly runs out of imagination, I quickly fade it out when the banjo puts in its feeble appearance. Any suggestions for improvements gratefully received.

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

Bluesberry

Sounds pretty darn good.  A bit of a lazy porch blues.  Most of the notes are spot on and the bends are good to.  One suggestion I would have is to make some of your bends much quicker, gives a bit more agressive sound.  bend up quickly, release it and immediatly pull off to your first finger two frets down, and then wiggle that a bit (some nice vibrato action), that will give you a classic blues sound for sure.  Try this a couple of times in succession before moving on to something else.  All in all good lazy sitting on the porch drinking lemonaid blues.  You are on the right track for sure with playing acoustic blues.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

I totally agree with Bluesberry... all the notes are there, it's now a case of putting some f*cked up, low-down dirt and heartache into the way they're played. VERY NICE playing though. You can turn your hand to anything!  :)

The Reverend 48

I nearly missed this...As the boys say its great lazy porch stuff 8)

Geir

VERY nice playing indeed!!

I'm not sure I have much to suggest to your playing style, maybe adding some more dynamics to your playing. Not necessary 'cause it's  good as it is. I Would however like a bit more "juice" in the sound of the lead, i bit more midtone maybe.

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Wiley

Wow Jackofall You have golden fingers. lOL Personally I don't know a lot about the blues. But I like it just as it stands.  I can just see the porch and 2 people pluckin away at this.  I think it is great. I think the banjo sound ok also.  That is where a vocal would be nice to work in and then back to the jamming.

jackofall

I wish I was good enough at the banjo to play over your lovely country music track, Wiley. Did you ever get someone to do that? I'm sorry I've forgotten the title now as it was a while ago, but I remembered the really pro singing!
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...