Chill with Debussy

Started by Ferryman, March 30, 2009, 05:33:39 PM

Ferryman

FLAXEN01
Time:
0:00
Volume:
OK, this is just a bit of fun. I was toying with the idea of ripping off the melody from Debussy's "Girl with the flaxen hair" for a song idea I had. I started doodling on the Kaossilator and instead of writing a song I ended up with a simple bit of chill out which has the Debussy theme in it. And if you've ever heard Tomita, you'll know where the inspiration for the sound came from.

So relax and chill, nothing scary here. All done on Kaossilator with MBR drums.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Wiley

That was sooooo neat.  I've looked at the kaosillator.  That might have to be on my next wish list.  It was great!!

Tony

I really like this, Nigel.  When you say that this was just Kaosillator and MBR drums, do you mean that you did it in one take or were you layering things on MBR tracks?  I've never heard such clear melodies through a Kaosillator before.

Kody

This sounds great~I really like what you did with the snare! Totally chill man~ That Korg is impressive~You've got me interested.... 8) 8)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Geir

Wow that was ... did you really ? ... amazing .. the Kaossilator  ? All that? ... I'm speechless!!! This was great!!.

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Greeny

holy sh*t! Is this what a Kaossilator can do?! Unbelievable. It sounds like expensive, studio-produced keyboards. This is a great little piece of music... fantastic mood and depth. Just brilliant. I'm guessing this is very addictive - like a whole new world of music suddenly opened up to you...  ;)

Flash Harry

That is bloody amazing.

Tomita, yes, Cafe Del Mar, yes! Right up my street.

Fantastic stuff Nigel. this is going on the PiePod.   ;D ;D ;D
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Thanks all, glad you like it!

Tony, I used the Kaossilator like an instrument here in that I laid down all the sounds individually on the MBR and then mixed and bounced everything on the MBR. It was a pain getting the "theme" melody - it's quite hard to play a proper "tune" on the touch pad. The melody is actually played twice on two sets of stereo tracks and then bounced together on to one pair and panned left. It took me about 30 minutes to get two good takes of the tune.....

Kody, sadly the snare is just standard MBR drums - I used the hip hop kit and two R&B patterns. But it sounds great (I flanged the drums in the middle part).

Greeny & gtalfsen, the quality of the Kaossilator is great, and with the MBR it's a powerful package. Most of the Kaossilator sounds have interesting stereo effects, but you have to use them with care otherwise they crowd the mix. And it also has an arpeggiator which creates some intersting effects as well. Who needs those expensive studios and keyboards? Although I might get a Micro Korg at some point.....

Thanks again for the feedback. It's the encouragement from the site that makes me want to try out all this stuff.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

Very nice.  I am blown away by the fidelity of that doohickey.

I was curious about how you did the main melody so flawlessly.  When you said it was difficult, I wiped a bead of sweat from my brow as I am having great difficulty hitting exact notes with the touch pad.  The guy in the music store said he would stick a post-it note on the pad and mark specific notes and then play with the rounded cap of a Bic pen for accuracy.  Just a thought.

I'm still been dealing with the work-load from taking nine days off for a family emergency (where I became stir-crazy and bought a Kaossilator), so I haven't had much time to play.  Now you've inspired me to delve into this unit a bit more.  Need to make some time.

Once again, very hypnotic.  Congrats.

For anybody else out there interested in Nigel's reference to Tomita, the following is a wonderful recording, well worth checking out.

http://www.amazon.com/Debussy-Snowflakes-Dancing-Prelude-Tomita/dp/B00003OP6X

Peace.

Blooby

The Reverend 48

I loved the song and had no idea what a Kaossilator was so I looked it up and it is so cool...I am tempted to buy one but I think I'd be better off mastering the technology in the BR first ;D