Anyone else got one of these little Yamaha THR amps?

Started by AndyR, November 27, 2014, 12:00:16 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: Burtog on April 14, 2015, 03:24:03 PMAnnoyingly it doesnt seem to be available in UK app store, looks good though!

The Yamaha UK page for THR Session has the following iTunes link:

http://itunes.com/app/thrsession

When I click on it, it tries to force me to download iTunes, which I refuse to do. But maybe if you already have iTunes, it will take you to the right page so you can download THR Session.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

Or you can just send your iPhone to one of our colleagues on the North American continent who I'm sure could organise a download..

Or a VPN...

Or something. Try a proxy....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gnasty

Quote from: Burtog on April 13, 2015, 01:56:54 PMHet Andy, could you send me that info on that mod you did for the noise, might check my unit. it has a buzz when the amp hits gain, especially if the guitar isnt facing the unit front on.

Thanks!

Mine doesn`t do the squeal at all but i remember i had that same issue as you Burtog with the guitar facing the amp. Let me know if Andy`s fix is the answer to that issue too so i don`t have to take this thing apart please. I`m working so much i can`t even play let alone take it apart!  :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Burtog

Quote from: Gnasty on April 15, 2015, 05:44:42 PM
Quote from: Burtog on April 13, 2015, 01:56:54 PMHet Andy, could you send me that info on that mod you did for the noise, might check my unit. it has a buzz when the amp hits gain, especially if the guitar isnt facing the unit front on.

Thanks!

Mine doesn`t do the squeal at all but i remember i had that same issue as you Burtog with the guitar facing the amp. Let me know if Andy`s fix is the answer to that issue too so i don`t have to take this thing apart please. I`m working so much i can`t even play let alone take it apart!  :D

I think Andy is right, mine doesn't have the same issue his did. Mine is more a pick-up (single-coil) issue. Would be interesting to see how it reacts to humbuckers. I notice lighting is an issue too, certain rooms interfere a bit. I also think that a poor quality lead may be part of the issue.

Very happy with it tho!!!
recorder
Boss BR-800

bruno

Quote from: Flash Harry on April 14, 2015, 04:27:20 PMOr you can just send your iPhone to one of our colleagues on the North American continent who I'm sure could organise a download..

Or a VPN...

Or something. Try a proxy....

Now your showing your IT geekiness ... :-)

recorder
Boss BR-1600

AndyR

Quote from: Burtog on April 24, 2015, 08:45:31 AM
Quote from: Gnasty on April 15, 2015, 05:44:42 PM

Thanks!

I think Andy is right, mine doesn't have the same issue his did. Mine is more a pick-up (single-coil) issue. Would be interesting to see how it reacts to humbuckers. I notice lighting is an issue too, certain rooms interfere a bit. I also think that a poor quality lead may be part of the issue.

Very happy with it tho!!!

Mine behaves like an amp on picking stuff up. I get a certain amount of noise - single coils more - I pick up things like the flashing lights on the BR1600! :D ... but then all my amps and modellors exhibit the same stuff. Try unplugging the lead from the THR and turn it up - mine doesn't pick up much extra noise on its own. Plug a lead in, and I get some, depending what's nearby. Plug a guitar in and I'll get the rest.

If you get lighting, PC, etc, interference with the THR with no lead plugged in then maybe worry about the unit... if it's only when a lead and guitar is plugged in, then it can be improved with a better lead and maybe improved screening in the guitar.

The other week I used a pedal in front of the THR (worked really well). I grabbed a cheap patch cable to put between the pedal and the amp - won't be doing that again!!

Bear in mind if you've got the gain and master up on the THR (regardless of how quiet you've set the output volume), then you've got the equivalent of the modelled amp going full blast - you'll amplify plenty of extra noises that way!! :D

Have you plugged the thing into a PC and used the THR Editor? There's actually a noise gate in every patch that you can turn on via the editor if you want.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Burtog

Andy, I havent yet tried batteries yet, thinkin about it as one downside is that long pain in the arse power cable. Do you get good life out of running on batteries?

I have sorted the editor which is pretty good, even uploaded a patch to a site, very easy!

I found some blues backing tracks on Spotify and have been jamming along to those, great way to practice.
recorder
Boss BR-800

AndyR

Nope, I don't use batteries. Sorry, I meant the guitar lead - unplug the guitar lead and turn the thing up. Do you get the interference then? If not, it's not the THR.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

chip

Hi Andy/Burthog and anyone else with one of these. A couple of questions.

Have you tried it into a BR, line in or indeed through the normal input on the recorder?

I'm back with the BR80 at the moment as the BR1200 is just to slow to set up and get going.

I believe you use the headphone out into the recorder, but what does it do to the sound when used in this manner?

Is it different, tinny ,fuzzy, bees in a can, like most of these sort of digital modelling amps?

I mean it does sound pretty good and I heard one at a shop I was in yesterday but I hadn't got the br with me or the phones.

You're  talking to someone who has had countless  modelling amps and most if not all were sadly lacking when used in the way I would want to, ie, straight into the recorder. I remember the Fender mustang which wasn't to bad but was well off the mark for my liking. However this one does seem a little better, but , is it?
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

AndyR

Hi Chip.

These two were done with the THR headphone out into stereo in:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=22959.0
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=23317.0

In comparison, this one was done with a valve amp mic'd with a Shure SM57

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=22833.0

The one I'm working on at the moment, I've used my Vox Tonelab. Kinda wishing I'd used the THR - but it's too late, there's too many guitars on it already that I don't want to rerecord!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1