Binaural Mics

Started by Farrell Jackson, October 17, 2014, 09:47:43 AM

Farrell Jackson

Lately I've been listening to some recorded samples done with inexpensive binaural mics and they sound pretty darn good. One sample was an acoustic guitar and the other just a voice. Both were recorded with the two mini mics clipped to the player's ears. The samples had a very clean, real world sound to them, and with a bit of stereo image. I like the concept of recording of what or how you're actually hearing the sound.

A couple of years ago I did a home made binaural micing experiment. I used a head size cardboard box, stuffing it with news paper, placing two SM57's into the sides of the box like ear holes, and surrounding the SM57 capsules with paper coffee filters to simulate ears. I also placed it at head height on a stand. I then recorded a solo to a backing track with my Jazzmaster guitar plugged to two amps, a Pro Jr. and Blues Jr. Each amp facing a mic about 6 feet away. The result was a a very full sounding lead guitar with a good bit of stereo image. Before I did this set up, I stood where I was going to place my home made binaural box and listened to the sound from the two amps. I set the height at my head height. The final recorded sound was exactly the sound I heard.

Since that time I've been intrigued with the binaural mic recording process. I've found these mics are on sale which is piquing my GAS, lol. The ones I've been looking at go for $69 to $149 on sale and include foam wind screens and clips.

Here's a sample of the guitar solo recorded with my home made binaural set up. The backing tracks weren't recorded binaurally.

Any thoughts on this?

Farrell

[soundclick]12380194[/soundclick]

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Blooby

Guitar sounds flippin' fantastic, but I'm not so sure I would be able to discern an advantage over chucking a mic in front of the amp (or two mics in front of two). I do get the notion of picking up what you hear, though, and I'm all for experimentation. FYI, I had run an extra long cable (which I had to purchase along with headphone extension cords) and was playing acoustic from a stool in my bathtub the other day. I even considered hanging a mic down in the toilet bowl just to see what it sounded like (I didn't.  It was a fleeting thought.). The cats have avoided me ever since.

Your playing is just great. It drives home the point once again that I can't really play the blues with any authenticity.

Blooby

Flash Harry

The guitar sounds great and the stereo image is noticeable. I would have said it was a post production image had I not known otherwise. The playing is fantastic.

Blooby's right though; cats avoid you after playing acoustic guitar on a stool in the bath. I suspect he wasn't wearing any underwear.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Hilary

I love the idea and would like to hear the voice sample.

You sure can play . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Farrell Jackson

Thanks Blooby, Flash and Hillary! It was a sound experiment that ended well but most of my experiments are just a waste of time but a fun waste of time. However, I've never thought about trying a stool in the bath tube angle...your wild and crazy Blooby  ;D

Hillary, here's a link where you can hear the binaural recording samples. Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with this company in any way.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-BMC-2

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Hilary

I've listened - oh I wanna give it a go now - I've got 2 SM57s, hmmmmm . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Flash Harry

Condensers Hills, once you go black....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

bruno

Quote from: Blooby on October 17, 2014, 10:01:10 AMGuitar sounds flippin' fantastic, but I'm not so sure I would be able to discern an advantage over chucking a mic in front of the amp (or two mics in front of two). I do get the notion of picking up what you hear, though, and I'm all for experimentation. FYI, I had run an extra long cable (which I had to purchase along with headphone extension cords) and was playing acoustic from a stool in my bathtub the other day. I even considered hanging a mic down in the toilet bowl just to see what it sounded like (I didn't.  It was a fleeting thought.). The cats have avoided me ever since.

LOL - yip, we all get upto such craziness, only fellow songcrafters would understand ....  ;D

Sounds great Farrell, lovely sounding guitar, so not a wasted experiment.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Quote from: Flash Harry on October 17, 2014, 04:04:08 PMCondensers Hills, once you go black....

Oh yeah - I've got a Rode but still, could be worth a try . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça