Channel Strips and/or Mic Pre's

Started by Blooby, October 16, 2014, 07:23:22 PM

Blooby

Anybody use any of these (beyond the simple mic pre's in interfaces)? I know these range from the lowly ART entry level ones to API, Neve, and Avalon ones costing thousands of dollars, but I'm not sure much it will affect my signal, especially when dealing with the entry-level variety. The reason I ask is an ART Tube channel popped up about 40 miles from here for $75, and I'm wondering if I should hop on it. I'm considering it my poor substitute for the Kemper profiling amp I won't get.  By the way, Bruno, if you're reading this, "PFFFTTT!" That was me blowing a raspberry in your direction for the late-night G.A.S. that I feel I can justly blame on you. I send it with the utmost respect for you succumbing to you own G.A.S.

Blooby

Hook

NO I don't know anything about them. In fact I don't even know what they do...but I want one...no...I want 3!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Flash Harry

The ART pre-amps are probably better than the pre-amp in your desk or mixing board. They are matched to microphone inputs, having the right characteristics (impedance, frequency response, gain, phantom power is you need it) and will improve the signal quality from a mic. Especially good for condenser microphones. The question is, how much better than the mixing desk? 
For studio recording with large diaphragm condensers, they are pretty much essential (unless you have a fancy desk) but in a live environment you may not get a noticeable improvement on a hand held vocal mic.

Where you may hear an improvement is in miking up a guitar using something a bit fancier than an SM57.

For $75, I'd buy it.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Farrell Jackson

I have a ART Pro Channel which is similar to the Tube Channel with pre, compressor, parametric EQ, and tube or optical choice of compressor type. It gives me a strong, clear, and full sound with most of my mics, dynamics and condensers. I'm not sold on the compressor section so I don't use it much. I use an FMR Audio RNC for all my compression needs.

I think the Pro Channel was about $200 new so $75 sounds good to me.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Blooby

When I did the math, it was 175 miles round trip, and although I have traveled far and wide to by esoteric audio equipment, I didn't pull the trigger. Apparently, you get G.A.S., and then you need to get gas to satiate you G.A.S. I didn't pull the trigger.

Then I got the shakes...

so I went down to local Guitar Center and bought an iConnect midi hub. It's got two sets of 5 pin midi in's and out's as well as some USB ports. The latter will hopefully allow me to use an iPad as a midi controller through a camera connection kit. I know I will be frustrated while trying to set this up, so I am practicing avoidance behavior.

I appreciate the information, guys.

Blooby

Flash Harry

iPads and camera connection kits just cost me shed loads.

£30 for the camera connection kit
£80 for new headphones
£13.98 for software synths
£149.99 for an Arturia KeyLab 25.

Fuck you very much iTunes.

- Kurt Vonnegut.

Flash Harry

But I got a live instrument(s)

Can I has Austria now?
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Blooby

bruno

Quote from: Blooby on October 16, 2014, 07:23:22 PMAnybody use any of these (beyond the simple mic pre's in interfaces)? I know these range from the lowly ART entry level ones to API, Neve, and Avalon ones costing thousands of dollars, but I'm not sure much it will affect my signal, especially when dealing with the entry-level variety. The reason I ask is an ART Tube channel popped up about 40 miles from here for $75, and I'm wondering if I should hop on it. I'm considering it my poor substitute for the Kemper profiling amp I won't get.  By the way, Bruno, if you're reading this, "PFFFTTT!" That was me blowing a raspberry in your direction for the late-night G.A.S. that I feel I can justly blame on you. I send it with the utmost respect for you succumbing to you own G.A.S.

Blooby

LOL - I'm sorry Blooby. You made me laugh out loud at the computer, and now my family think I' nutz :-) I can now confirm that I'm completely free of GAS.........so what's that about a pre-amp ......

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Blooby

As predicted, getting the ipad to talk with the computer has yielded zero results. At one pint, all audio was distorting coming out of the computer. I had to walk away. 

Flash, what the heck am I doing wrong?