"99 Names" - First time using the Micro BR

Started by OsCKilO, March 28, 2009, 08:36:53 PM

OsCKilO

99_NAMES
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hello all

I bought my micro BR a couple of days ago. I originally wanted a RC50 Loop station to begin with, but the price went up due to the UK recession. The Loop station seemed like an easier option than layering tracks from start to finish. 

I don't, and have never played in a band and can't get the time off work, wife and baby to find other musicians to play with. The BR seemed the natural choice and cost-effective way to try and make music in my spare time with no-one else around. The BR has been a god send (I sound like a Boss advert).

Here is the first attempt at recording something, in the 30 minutes I had spare one day.....

My usual style is strummed/Damien Rice acoustic stuff as well as stuff like the ending theme tune from "Bear and the Big blue house" because my kid likes it.

This is the first time I played a base guitar (despite having one for ages, just for the sake of it, gathering dust in the corner), or laid down some chords to a drum beat. I don't do solo's (have never had the occasion to try... Explaining my poor attempt at this kind of thing) and have never had a guitar lesson in the four years I have tried to get to grips with the instrument.

Please feel free to tell me where I am going wrong because I'd like to improve my playing. The style of the song also feels very foreign to me, and I can't place it yet, so tell me what it sounds like.

I have had a browse/listen through the majority of entries/threads on this site and I can safely say that I am fortunate to be in the company of some extremely talented people on this forum. Reading your entries also saved me reading the instruction manual.

Thanks for being here. Nice to know there are like minded people about.

Kind Regards

T (Osckilo)
 :-[

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

lg

The more you practice at it the better you will become.
And this first piece that you laid down
sounds like a great beginning to me!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

OsCKilO

Thank you LG

Your reunion blues jam is a classic!

I think the next step for me is scales if I want to get to grips with solo's as well as you have them nailed down.

Was that recorded Live on a BR?  It sounds amazing.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Rata-tat-tat

Hey there... welcome. Yes... this is a great unit. I find myself using the BR quite often now. Sounds like this is the perfect match for you and your busy schedule. Keep on recording... can't wait to hear more from ya.

V/R

Tod
recorder
Tascam DP-02

64Guitars

Quote from: osckilo on March 28, 2009, 09:24:46 PMI think the next step for me is scales if I want to get to grips with solo's

I don't want to discourage you from learning scales as they can be very useful in expanding your understanding of the guitar, and music in general. However, I'd like to offer a suggestion that will improve your lead guitar playing much sooner.

The lead guitar in this song is quite good in terms of hitting the right notes and choosing a tasteful melody. In fact, I think it's more tasteful than some lead guitar work I've heard from guitarists who are experts in scale theory. What your playing lacks most is technique. It seems as if you're fretting and picking every single note which gives it an almost staccato sound. You'll find that your playing will improve greatly if you incorporate techniques such as string bends, slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs, trills, etc. This will make your playing more fluid and interesting.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony

Oscillo, well done, sounds good to me.

I'd like to qualify 64 Guitars' advice.  I think scales and arpeggios are great and essential but you should always try and find ways to make them more musical as you practice them. That way the transition from scale to solo isn't so difficult.  And you don't fall into the trap of playing scales when you are supposed to be playing solos (arpeggios are a good help here). 

So one way to make things more musical is to practice string bends, slides, hammer-ons etc, while you are practicing your scales.  Practice with the drum patterns from your Micro BR and you'll be hitting the rhythm as well.

tafka

Quote from: lg on March 28, 2009, 09:05:14 PMThe more you practice at it the better you will become.
And this first piece that you laid down
sounds like a great beginning to me!

LG

i agree. this is great as it is but just think where you can take it.
i don't know about scales 'n stuff but changing pick-ups & guitar volume tweeking as you play helps a helluva lot . just a thought.

Tony J
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

The Reverend 48

Great start...there is nothing wrong with your choice of notes..I would have another go over your  acoustic rhythm.......
Use guitar effect Smooth lead or blues Drive on your lead...it will give you some sustain.......
Try and force yourself to allow some of the notes to "hang" ie sustain for a couple of beats and I bet it makes all the difference ;)
please post up your next go :)

Geir

Welcome!!

A great first recording!! Agree with those who said good melody. And fort8 has a good point. Choosing a patch with more sustain will give you a whole new feeling when playing lead. Playing acoustic or even electric with just a clean sound is not easy when it comes to lead playing. It's easy to be tempted to play to many notes because of the lack of sustain. As many of the fine guitarists here have proven it can be done, but to start with it's nice to have some sustain to keep those long notes you hear in your head come out that way on the guitar as well.

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Wiley

I wasn't sure what to expect when reading your post, but when I listened you are off to a great start. And yes practice does help.  Which I don't get much of either as I'm to busy watching these forums or trying to figure out a song to do.  Hope to hear more from you!