Bruno gets the Good Stuff, & Hook gets....

Started by Hook, October 06, 2014, 08:48:32 AM

Hook

So I've been really having GAS over more tracks & faders lately. I've been searching pawn shops & ebay for either one of the Tascam 2488's (original,mkii or neo) or the Fostex MR16. I almost had a Tascam mkii for $160 at a pawn shop this past week but the cd wouldn't open & that caused me some anxiety about what other defects it might have.Then I almost had a MR16 yesterday on ebay but got out bid at the last second. I found another one posted with a Best Offer option and he accepted $115 + $25 shipping.

The MR16 isn't  my 1st choice (Tascams DP24 get's that title) nor my 2nd but I think for the price which was actually a little more than I have to spend frivolously, I think I'll be satiated for at least a little while. My main use for this machine will be for mixing. I plan on starting my next CD for the professional me and I really didn't want to mix it on the DP008 ( or now the MBR until Tascam contacts me????). My plan is to record the tracks in the car the transfer them to the MR16 to mix at home. I will probably then master them on either the 008 or the MBR. I am interested in a mastering program, are there separate programs for mastering outside of a daw?
I should get it in 3 days , hopefully will ship today. I started making room on my desk. I'm going to have to set up my room differently so I can reach the machine from the drumset...fun stuff.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on October 06, 2014, 08:48:32 AMI am interested in a mastering program, are there separate programs for mastering outside of a daw?

There's JAMin for Linux, but it's not available for Windows or Mac.

Perhaps this page will help.

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/06/26/free-mastering-software/

It's mostly about VST plugins for mastering, but there's a "Mastering Suite" section which lists three programs that might be what you're looking for - AAMS Auto Audio Mastering System, Audio Mastering Suite, and MHorse P3.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

Congrats on the purchase.

I could not suss out whether this is stand alone or not.

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/04/13/aams-auto-audio-mastering-system-is-now-free-donations-welcome/

I wouldn't dismiss Magix' Audio Cleaning Lab either.  Although not with myriad bells and whistles, it's great for the price, and I think the compressor has a limiting function (once the ratio gets high enough). On first glance, all the effects look juvenile, but all open into a full-blown rack-mount style gui. Not sure if it will completely fit the bill for you.  I think I paid $35 for mine.

You have an standing invitation to come up and master in my DAW once you have your tracks ready.

Blooby

bruno

Looks decent piece of kit brother. Well done. The title made me laugh, but I have to face the music now!! Did I interpret, "just get it" correctly???  :-[
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hook

Quote from: bruno on October 06, 2014, 01:52:38 PMbut I have to face the music now!! B
But it's gonna sound so sweet through that Kemper!! I'm glad you got it brother & I'm not jealous at all ::)

Thanks 64! Any chance of another icon?

Quote from: Blooby on October 06, 2014, 10:09:27 AMYou have an standing invitation to come up and master in my DAW once you have your tracks ready.

Blooby
Accepted! Not sure how long it's going to take me to finish. I'm at the, I have a few songs written stage but I'm hoping to get the ball rolling here soon...after I finish the damn Peel ABC's!

I'm real excited about the buy, mostly because I love new toys. Hopefully it will be helpful. I do plan on upgrading to the DP24 (32 ::) eventually but 16 will have to do for now.
I had the MR8 for a little while and it wasn't a bad machine, just not a good portable option, that's not the goal now. It seems to be somewhat better than the MR8, obviously 16 tracks, 4 track simultaneous recording (my next MET with Bruno?), Phantom power, USB, some odd eq preset options (I do like pre sets) and my favorite is the 16 track bounce to a new song. We will see!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

IanR

Why not do your mixing and mastering in a DAW?

It works using the same principles as mixing in the MBR and once you get the hang of it, its actually fairly straightforward. 

I like this approach because it provides a better view of what each track is doing.  I also like using things like busses to keep groups of tracks under control and applying effects efficiently.

You could use one of your machines to be the control surface and get the best of both worlds.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Hook

Quote from: IanR on October 06, 2014, 07:48:09 PMWhy not do your mixing and mastering in a DAW?

When it comes down to it, I just don't enjoy it. The computer really sucks the fun out of music/recording/producing for me. I realize I can't go completely computer free. I do like to finish in audacity but I don't want to be in front of the screen much. I also really like faders & none of my machines can act as a controller. I'd have to get one of the zoom models & there just out of my current price range.

I have run into an unfortunate surprise with the MR16. The one I bought doesn't have the cd, which didn't bother me at all...until I read in the manual that the only way to import tracks is through the cd, not the usb????WTF???? Of course my main purpose was to import my tracks & mix on the MR16. I could do it on the MR8 through the usb but I guess they changed that feature...WTF??????
So I'm wondering, it has both a usb port & a usb host port for an external CD drive. If I get an external cd drive will I be able to import tracks? If yes, then what am I looking for, I need one for my laptop to, which is also optical drive deficient.
What a royal pain in the ass, all because I ASSumed it did what I wanted it to. Doesn't this always happen to me, can you hear the violins? I am the poster boy for why not to by outdated equipment :(
ON & on & o...

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on October 07, 2014, 07:44:15 PMI have run into an unfortunate surprise with the MR16. The one I bought doesn't have the cd, which didn't bother me at all...until I read in the manual that the only way to import tracks is through the cd, not the usb????WTF???? Of course my main purpose was to import my tracks & mix on the MR16. I could do it on the MR8 through the usb but I guess they changed that feature...WTF??????
So I'm wondering, it has both a usb port & a usb host port for an external CD drive. If I get an external cd drive will I be able to import tracks? If yes, then what am I looking for, I need one for my laptop to, which is also optical drive deficient.

I believe you can import/export tracks in WAV format via USB using the Fostex WAV Manager software.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/tech_support/wav_manager.shtml

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 07, 2014, 09:18:10 PMI believe you can import/export tracks in WAV format via USB using the Fostex WAV Manager software.

That's right, & there it is on my desktop. I freaked out after I read a lengthy review and it mentions it was only capable of import through CD drive. I double checked the manual and it said the same thing. I had forgotten about the wav manager, thank you sir, I am content again. If I'm not mistaken I have to make sure to rename the file when I import it, but at least I can do it!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Hook on October 08, 2014, 04:26:21 AM
Quote from: 64Guitars on October 07, 2014, 09:18:10 PMI believe you can import/export tracks in WAV format via USB using the Fostex WAV Manager software.

That's right, & there it is on my desktop. I freaked out after I read a lengthy review and it mentions it was only capable of import through CD drive. I double checked the manual and it said the same thing. I had forgotten about the wav manager, thank you sir, I am content again. If I'm not mistaken I have to make sure to rename the file when I import it, but at least I can do it!
Rock On!

Hook, 64 is correct about using Fostex WAV manager software to import/export tracks on the MR16. I looked at the manual and the MR16 is similar to my VF160 in many ways. Although my VF160 has a disc drive I rarely use it. I just use a Teac CDR/CDRW recorder to get tracks recorded on a CDRW from my PC via the Teac's RCA out/in to 1/4 input jacks on channels 15/16 of the VF160. Also since both the Teac and VF160 have in/out optical I use that at times if I want to stay completely digital. You should be able to do the same but would need a cd drive or player of some sort.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?