The Dressing-up Box - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, September 14, 2014, 09:39:27 AM

Farrell Jackson

Andy, I find the 50hz cut an interesting concept that makes a lot of sense, especially after hearing your good song and mix. The clarity is definitely exceptional with all the tracks you have competing for space. I've used a similar EQ low end 80hz to 120hz roll off to get individual tracks (usually lead/fill guitars and backing vocals) to stand out but never have gone beyond that. My standard is to roll off anything below 80hz and above 12k hz during the mastering process. But now that I've heard your song and read your explanation, I'm going to re-think this. Nice job and thanks for the details!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

chapperz66

I have never normalised the final mix (although I may try it now you have put the idea in my head!).  In fact, I seldom find the need to use normalisation at all.  Occaisionally when micing an acoustic instrument, but other than that, never.  I guess this is because the way I work using predominantly hardware synths with spdif digital outs.  Pretty much everything (except guitars) are recorded initially using the the midi recorders built into my Motif and Fantom (16 and 128 tracks respectively).  Using the digital outs from the keys into the digital in in the BR1600 gives a fairly hot but never distorted record level.  I suspect that there is some kind of normalise function going on there, automatically setting the levels and by passing the input level knobs.  So I use the final mix in its virgin state to master.

As I say, I will give the normalise master concept a go.  Might as well try it.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Paul

Satchwood

WoW, PROG-TASTIC!!  This is epic;,;.;  i get this Queensryche/Savatage/TSO vibe, but better!

Digging this line in your vocals:

"It pleases us to see
The very things we used to be
At last and truly free"
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Jarle

This is just incredible good. The vocal is outstanding and the choir sounds great. So much to take in. As Greeny said this is songcrafting at its finest.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Hook

Back for a proper listen on slightly better speakers, so good man. That choir is really impressive and controlled. I love the slight guitar lead in the 2nd verse when the drums come back in, that really caught my ears. The dynamics are superb!
I'm not one for EQing but I have been messing around with it a little on individual tracks but it's all just by ear and I find it taxing & draining. I've always tried to record the sound I want, I hardly ever achieve that though. I usually mix my tracks, master then normalize on my 008. Then I use the leveler in audacity which if not overused seems to finish my tracks decently.
You inspired me to take a little more time with my last produced track & I think you've inspired me again to slow down & examine my sound a little more...maybe.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

AndyR

Aah! You were listener 100, Hookie... many thanks... :) (Your prize is in the post...)

(Still waiting for the woman herself to listen to it, I don't think she has, hard to tell, she's certainly not commented... and I'm not convinced she will now... :-\)

Anyway, it does seem that this cleaning-up and messing about with EQ (cuts below 50Hz or so and above 16KHz, in addition to whatever other EQ you use) can make a difference - it is a bit of work, though... and it definitely taxes the brain a bit, trying to remember and make sure that everything gets done.

I suspect it's because most of us are the "artiste" as well as the engineer. I'm realising that if I was just the engineer, some of this would be becoming second nature, just "part of the job" - a collection of tricks that can be applied as necessary to get the sound(s) needed.

At heart, though, as the singer-songwriter, I've got the same yearning for "try and get a sound then bang it down... job done" as I assume everyone else has...  :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Balleo

recorder
iPad GarageBand
recorder
 Reaper
recorder
Audacity
My Youtube Facebook

Flash Harry

Epic I'd say.

I love the composition and the construction. It really shows that you have taken a great deal of time over the creative aspects. Do you find that your subconscious grinds away at the knotty problems and then pop's the answer out, but in such an obscure way that it still takes hard work to beat it into submission?

Production is fab.

PiePod bound.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tangled Wires

Your detailed explanations of the way your songs came about and were recorded are always intriguing and entertaining.

I don't pretend to understand too much of the technicalities that you describe as I tend to record using the preset settings on the BR and leave it at that without mucking around too much, but I am always fascinated by your processes, and eager to take tips.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Kenny B

A fantastic song and production. Dig the dynamics and your arrangements
are always first class.  Great vocals and playing ... WOW!!!
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR