The Dressing-up Box - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, September 14, 2014, 09:39:27 AM

AndyR

***********************************************************************************
REMIX 17 Jan 2015
Lowered the vox and rolled some bottom end off (explanation lower down the thread somewhere)
***********************************************************************************
A new one from me. I wrote it in April and it's been a bit of a mill-stone round my neck ever since. I have been busy with other stuff, but it's still taken FIVE months to finish what started life as a little acoustic ditty!

It now has a multitude of guitars, piano, strings, drums and several massed choirs (doing things you can't really hear). It seems to have turned into a bit of a ponderous dinosaur of a song... but I'm still rather fond of it.

It started out as an acoustic thing. But it sounded a bit Elizabethan (and it was inspired by Georgian stuff). So I twitted about a bit and the piano got involved. I had to try an electric guitar, obviously, just the one... ::)

All the electric guitars on here are my Brian May Red Special - once I started using that, it kinda set a theme... you'll hear what I mean...

The bass is my Fender Fretless Jazz (also known as the Jazzless Fret, here). I decided during the playing of this that I really need a Jazz with frets on too... negotiations have started :D

During tracking, the song ended up doubling in length by accident when the rocky outtro sort of played itself. I nearly separated that off as a different song, but when I got lyrics over it I had to keep it in.

The Dressing-up Box
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------

You should spare a thought for the woman behind
Stands and waits
Seems not to mind
She found her own way here
Were her choices ever that clear?

In her waking dream
A dream awake
On someone else's dream she waits
We flatter to deceive
But she's the one whom you might believe

There's only one thing sure
Concerns the woman we adore
The Mistress of the Wardrobe
The dressing-up box conceals it all

If only she could be
The very thing she's meant to be
At last and truly free
The dressing-up box would only hold
Her clothes

Now spare a thought after so many years
A woman stands
Seems to hear
Flattered not deceived
All the words she has received

But this waking dream
Is a dream so late
And someone else's dreams await
She found her own way here
In her dreams we feel her near

There's only one thing sure
Concerns this woman we adore
New mistress of the robe
Her dressing-up box holds it all

It pleases us to see
The very things we used to be
At last and truly free
Her dressing-up box reveals it all

If ever you want more
Than your flattery can ill afford
Her dressing-up box offers things to say

And if she offers more
If she ever offers more
Her dressing-up box carries you away

Copyright (C) 2014 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

thetworegs

I've listened to this a few times now here and on the other side and its Fab as i think i have already told you but its so good i thought i'd tell you again Fab!! i say!! FAB!! in my best Cartoon Cockerel Voice......

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Blooby

I'm so impressed with the full blown arrangement.  I wish I had the discipline to orchestrate something like this.  Phew, so much going on. Will be back later for more.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

jings crivvens and help ma boab.

am so busy these days when i get a chance to listen, i catch up using the new song player.

unfortunately songs posted at alonetone don't appear on the new songplayer here.

so i nearly missed this one, fmgwabp. where do i begin.

i thought when i read description "five months" for one song? he is mad.

andy you are not mad, yer a bloody genuis.

FMGWABP.

braw tell yer maw.

wish you could write them quicker mate, cos this is off the scales good.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Five months?! Some might say that's excessive, but then they'd listen to this and say: "Yeah... I get it. WOW!".

It's incredible. Precision, power, and consummate craftsmanship. Love the fretless bass at the start - gave me a Kate Bush vibe early on, but then it gets more Queen on the bombastic chorus parts. That little guitar breakdown part around 5 mins before the big ending (really BIG!) is beautiful. In fact there's loads of little details that will take a few listens to fully absorb.

An astonishing piece of work. Songcrafting at it's finest.

Geir

oh my !!

This is as good as it gets. You've once again raised the bar once again for what can be done on a stand-alone recorder.

I'll be adding this to my AR playlist to be burned on a CD. But first I'll have this for repeat for the rest of the year so hopefully some of the talent will rub off on me !!!

We're not worthy !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

I love all your work, but this is absolutely first class from the first note 'til the last. Bravo my friend.  Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Blooby

Back for another listen.  This was really a stellar post.

Blooby

Farrell Jackson

This is one killer of a song, performance, and production AndyR! I can hear why it took 5 month's to complete. ...it would have taken me much longer, if ever, to get something this good. There are so many minute details that I had to listen twice to pick them up and I'm sure there are some I missed. Everything works to perfection here!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

chapperz66

5 months well spent in my opinion.  Quite brilliant.  You have a truly awesome voice.  Production sublime.  Great song.

What's not to like?

Paul