Post-LONG lay off here's a new song from me [Title: 'I Don't Want To Know']

Started by Super 8, August 21, 2014, 07:31:33 PM

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Super 8

Hi Folks! In case anyone were interested here's a quick D.I.Y. demonstration video detailing how this song was put together. Thanks again for all the kind words regarding this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW3ENfij87M

Rata-tat-tat

Popped in for a bit... Listening to some tunes and catching up....found this... Super 8= GR8... Excellent tune bro...I dig it.!!!
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Tangled Wires

Nice video, great to see how this was constructed.

Top top song, this is still stuck in my head from my first listen over a week ago.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Super 8

Quote from: Tangled Wires on September 02, 2014, 09:45:54 AMTop top song, this is still stuck in my head from my first listen over a week ago.

Ah, those 'annoying' songs that get stuck in your head and, try as you may, you just can't shake 'em. Apologies!

Jarle

recorder
Boss BR-800

chapperz66

I have just listened to the latest incarnation.  Very, very good indeed. 

I have just one suggestion.  It could do with being a bit longer.  Go on - write another verse!

Seriously - with a song as strong I could stand a bit more.  In fact I'd quite enjoy it.

Paul

Super 8

CHEERS! Re:
Quote from: chapperz66 on September 04, 2014, 08:55:50 AMI have just one suggestion.  It could do with being a bit longer.  Go on - write another verse!

HA! HA! You've unknowingly touched a nerve there Chapperz! The thing is, I have this small deal and my publisher is forever telling me to write catchier, SHORTER tunes. It seems he has a problem with anything over 3 minutes in length - a short A&R attention span I guess (like the rest of 'em!) "Leave 'em wanting more!" was his parting phrase at our last meeting!

My first acoustic draft demo I did for this song actually clocked in at around the 5 minute mark but, in order to 'play the game' (or keep my publishers happy at least!), I decided to literally cut it in half (down to a mere 2 mins & 28 secs or summat!) The upside of this is that, for once, my publisher is indeed for once 'happy'. He actually really digs this one and, as such, wants to do 'something' with it (exactly what that may be I've yet to be informed!) The last 'short' musical piece I submitted actually got used for an advert (all 33 secs of it!) so there's something to be said for keeping 'em sweet - I don't wanna be 'pushing trolleys' forever and, if I can forge some kind of living from making muzak, that'd be a dream come true for sure!

Anyway, I digress, back to this particular song in question ... The downside is that A LOT of folks have now mentioned that this song could indeed benefit from being ... LONGER! (He! He! You can't win it seems!)

Thanks for your suggestion though - it's all good! I'm a big fan of honest, constructive criticism. In fact it's the only way to 'up your game' & improve I find! This is 'that sort of song' that, were I in a band, we'd no doubt jam it out (to death?!) in a live context. Hmm, I dunno?! I suppose I've kind of gotten used to its brevity and (for once!) can see where my publisher's coming from with the whole 'less is more' thing!

From a song crafting perspective though I'd certainly be interested to hear other folk's thoughts regarding the length of this track (plus ANY further thoughts that can be brought to the table where this one's concerned come to think about it!)

As my original title post states: 'Post-LONG lay off ...' For a number of reasons (most of which I don't need to go into here) I'm now very much trying to 'turn over a new leaf' as a solo Writer/Performer/Recorder/Producer (Whatever!) and this very track is my 'wipe the slate clean' calling card as it were - an attempt to not only 'find my sound' but also a way of finding a fast work-flow system with which to capture that sound.

I had/have spent FAR too long I must admit just going around the houses with it all trying to find a way of (quickly!) recording stuff that I was 'happy' with (only to end up right back at the beginning as it turns out!)

Once again, thanks awfully for taking the time out to offer your opinions, suggestions & advice here folks - it really is VERY much appreciated! This site is an invaluable resource & an excellent platform for putting things out there! Just getting a feel for stuff & 'testing the water' as it were.

Keep on rocking in the free (?) world mon amigos ....              

Super 8

Quote from: Super 8 on September 04, 2014, 10:17:27 AMCHEERS! Re:
Quote from: chapperz66 on September 04, 2014, 08:55:50 AMI have just one suggestion.  It could do with being a bit longer.  Go on - write another verse!

HA! HA! You've unknowingly touched a nerve there Chapperz! The thing is, I have this small deal and my publisher is forever telling me to 'write catchier, SHORTER tunes!' It seems he has a problem with anything over 3 minutes in length - a short A&R attention span I guess (like the rest of 'em!) "Leave 'em wanting more!" was his parting phrase at our last meeting!

My first acoustic draft demo I did for this song actually clocked in around the 5 minute mark but, in order to 'play the game' (or at least keep my publishers happy!), I decided to literally cut it in half (down to a mere 2 mins & 28 secs or summat!) The upside of this is that, for once, my publisher is indeed 'happy'! He actually really digs this one and, as such, wants to do 'something' with it (exactly what that may be I have yet to be informed!) The last 'short' musical piece I submitted actually got used for an advert (all 33 secs of it!) so there's something to be said for keeping 'em sweet - I don't wanna be 'pushing trolleys' forever and, if I can forge some kind of living from 'making muzak', then sure - that'd be a dream come true (no biggie!)

Anyway, I digress, back to this song in question ... The downside is that A LOT of folks have now mentioned that this song could indeed benefit from being ... LONGER! (He! He! You can't win it seems!)

Thanks for your suggestion though - it's all good! I'm a big fan of honest, constructive criticism. In fact it's the only way to 'up your game' & improve I find! This is 'that sort of song' that, were I in a band, we'd no doubt jam it out (to death?!) in a live context but I haven't played a proper 'gig' in years now! Hmm, I dunno?! I suppose I've kind of gotten used to its brevity and (for once!) can see where my publisher's coming from with the whole 'less is more' idea!

From a song crafting perspective though I'd certainly be interested to hear more thoughts regarding the length of this track (plus ANY further thoughts that can be brought to the table where this one's concerned come to think about it!)

As my original subject title here states: 'Post-LONG lay off ...' for a number of reasons (most of which I don't need to go into here) I'm now very much trying to 'turn over a new leaf' as a solo Writer/Performer/Recorder/Producer (whatever!) and this very track is my 'wipe the slate clean' calling card as it were - an attempt to not only 'find my sound' but a way of finding a fast work-flow system with which to capture it & get it down.

I must admit, I had/have spent FAR too long going around the houses trying to find a way of recording stuff that I was 'happy' with (only to end up right back at the beginning as it turns out!)

Once again, thanks awfully for taking the time out to offer your opinions, suggestions & advice here folks - it really is VERY much appreciated! This site is an invaluable resource & an excellent platform for putting things out there! A way to get a feel for stuff & 'test the waters' as it were.

Anyway, that's more than enough from me for the time being (I should be spending my time writing more songs!!!)

For now 'Keep on rocking in the free (?) world' mon amigos ....