Anybody ever run an electric guitar through a bass amp?

Started by Tangled Wires, August 10, 2014, 03:25:36 PM

Blooby

Some of my songs on this site are me playing a Strat through the Boss octave pedal. Some folks even complimented the bass tones. You can't play chords, and you must play cleanly, but it will more than do in a pinch on the cheap. I have found that just about any bass through a compressor will let you get by.

Blooby

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

thehitman

Quote from: Flash Harry on August 11, 2014, 04:44:49 AMWhat you need is a Chapman Stick and a couple of Fender amps, one the Twin reverb and the other the Bassman.

Then you're fixed.

Check out Tony Levin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcbSjC9tAY8

i second this motion! lol

sticking to guitar though, i have had excellent results using an Ampeg V-4B head and Ampeg (flip-top style) 15" cab for recording thick guitar tones. experiment all that you can. go to the music store and plug your guitar into bass amps and try it out. there's no rule not to do this. it won't hurt anyone. i've spoken with several other engineers that do the same thing that i just suggested with the Ampeg gear. it sounds really good.

guitarron

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on August 10, 2014, 04:06:04 PMI used a 1966 Fender Bassman amp as my main gigging guitar amp for several years. I actually converted the Bassman head to a 2X10 combo amp. I still have it and it still rocks for bass or guitar. But I wasn't trying to cover the bass end as we had a bass player.  I just used it because it had a great natural crunch for guitar when it was cranked up.  As mentioned, I think some sort of octave pedal between the guitar and bass amp would get you closer to a bass sound.

Farrell
i have a old 67 blackface that sounds terrific for guitar- i don't have proper cab for it. But sounds pretty good thru my marshall 1960 cab.
i haven't used this as a live rig, but it could do the trick.
these heads are aren't terribly overpriced as far as vintage heads go. -no reverb tank tho

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

pjd1

Sure SRV used to use a fender bassman in his live rig so you may be in good company
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Speed Demon

Tried that. Not good enough. Guitar sounds muddy played into bass speakers.
Get a real bass.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

T.C. Elliott

I played through the bass players Bassman 4x a couple of times. He wouldn't sell it. I'm telling you, it was butter. To this day I think about saving up to buy a reissue bassman 4x to play through as my main amp. It'd be too loud for most gigs, though.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

alfstone

Sure, just as an example the Fender 59 Bassman was projected to be used with the Fender Precision Bass, but has been used by hundreds of guitarists...

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Vanncad

+1 on the Fender Bassman.
My friend modded one (I know  - sacreligious!!), with a high gain setting and that thing just screams!

Also a Traynor Bass Mate II makes a great guitar amp.
A lot of guys are modding those to get close to a Marshall Plexi sound.

You used to find them all over the place for around $50. Now they are pretty expensive if you can find one.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover